Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Mary S.

Default Using Concatenate function to generate text in Text Box

I would like to have a text box on my chart, whose text is generated by
concatenating the values from two different cells (B4 and B6) on a specific
worksheet in my Excel file. I was able to use a reference to cell B4 to
generate the text for my text box using the following formula:

='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4

However, when I try to enter either of the following formulas for the text
box text:

=concatenate('SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4, 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6)
='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4 & 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6

I get the error message "The text you entered is not a valid reference or
defined name".

Is what I am attempting to do simply impossible in Excel? (I am running
Excel 2003 SP1). Or, is there some way to do this that I am missing?

--
Thanks,
Mary S.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

The only formula you can use is a cell address. So do the concatenation
in another cell and link to that one instead.

Cheers
Andy

Mary S. wrote:
I would like to have a text box on my chart, whose text is generated by
concatenating the values from two different cells (B4 and B6) on a specific
worksheet in my Excel file. I was able to use a reference to cell B4 to
generate the text for my text box using the following formula:

='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4

However, when I try to enter either of the following formulas for the text
box text:

=concatenate('SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4, 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6)
='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4 & 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6

I get the error message "The text you entered is not a valid reference or
defined name".

Is what I am attempting to do simply impossible in Excel? (I am running
Excel 2003 SP1). Or, is there some way to do this that I am missing?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info