Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count the number of rows where more than one column meets set crit

I want to find out the number of rows where the more than one column meets
criteria set in another cell.

Eg:

Column A is Name
Column B is Date

I want to find out the number of times "John" appears in column A and
"14/07/06" appears in column B. If possible i'd like to reference the search
criteria through another cell.

My limited understanding makes me think I need a COUNTAND function but it
doesn't exist.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Barrie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Barrie,

use =sumproduct(--(a2:a1000="John")*(b2:b100=date(2006,07,14)))
hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"BarrieVoice" escreveu:

I want to find out the number of rows where the more than one column meets
criteria set in another cell.

Eg:

Column A is Name
Column B is Date

I want to find out the number of times "John" appears in column A and
"14/07/06" appears in column B. If possible i'd like to reference the search
criteria through another cell.

My limited understanding makes me think I need a COUNTAND function but it
doesn't exist.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Barrie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JNW JNW is offline

Default Count the number of rows where more than one column meets set

I have another question about sumproduct.

I've got dates in range a3:a65536
I'm trying to count how many events happen in January and I have the
following formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(('2006 Detail'!$A$3:$A$65536=B$4)*('2006
Detail'!$A$3:$A$65536<+C$4))
B4 = 1/1/2006
C4 = 2/1/2006

There are no events entered for January of 2006 but the formula is saying
that there is one. August also has no events and the formula is working
correctly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...
--