Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I show radians in symbolic format in excel? like 90 degrees would show (Symbol Pi/2) tia sal2

Not sure how that would work......

Example: I have three columns in excel

20 degrees ---- 0.34906585 Radians ---- I want to convert it to show up as Pi/9 in excel in another column
40 degrees ---- 0.698131701Radians---- I want to convert it to show up as 2Pi/9 in excel in another column
60 degrees ---- 1.047197551 Radiand ----- I want to convert it to show up as Pi/3 in excel in another coulmn

tia
sal2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

temp wrote...
20 degrees ---- 0.34906585 Radians ---- I want to convert it to show
up as Pi/9 in excel in another column
40 degrees ---- 0.698131701Radians---- I want to convert it to show
up as 2Pi/9 in excel in another column

If cell A1 contained the angle in degrees, the following formula will
convert it to a TEXT REPRESENTATION in radians.

=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1/180," ?\p/??")," 1p","p"),"/1
",""))

But you'd need to change the font's typeface to Symbol for the cells
containing such formulas. Doing so produces the following results.

0 0ð
15 ð/12
20 ð/9
30 ð/6
45 ð/4
60 ð/3
75 5ð/12
90 ð/2
180 ð
270 3ð/2

where ð is the symbol for pi in Google Groups reply box.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:36:29 -0800, Harlan Grove wrote:

temp wrote...
20 degrees ---- 0.34906585 Radians ---- I want to convert it to show
up as Pi/9 in excel in another column 40 degrees ----
0.698131701Radians---- I want to convert it to show up as 2Pi/9 in
excel in another column

If cell A1 contained the angle in degrees, the following formula will
convert it to a TEXT REPRESENTATION in radians.

=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1/180," ?\p/??")," 1p","p"),"/1 ",""))

But you'd need to change the font's typeface to Symbol for the cells
containing such formulas. Doing so produces the following results.

0 0Ï€
15 π/12
20 π/9
30 π/6
45 π/4
60 π/3
75 5Ï€/12
90 π/2
180 π
270 3Ï€/2

where π is the symbol for pi in Google Groups reply box.

Thanks works great and it's nice and simple too :-)