Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Save As dialog box keeps popping up and won't close

Folks - Usually I can figure out the solution to problems by fiddling around
and searching but this one has my stymied.

I use Office 97, and in the last few weeks, in Word and Excel, whenever I
open a file and start working on it, the "Save As" dialog box comes up (by
itself, not prompted) and will not close no matter what is done. The only way
to get out of it is to brink up Task Manager and use it to close the
application.

In Googling for a solution, I have found this question asked a few times in
various forums. In some there was no solution offered, in others there were a
few suggestions, which I've tried without fixing this.

I have tried: system restore to before the problem started, I have
uninstalled the couple small things I recently put on the system (PrimoPDF,
Filebox Extender), I uninstalled and reinstalled Office 97. I have tried
disabling autosave in both Excel and Word.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you have a "helpful" macro in a workbook that opens each time excel
opens--or when MSWord opens.

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look under Tools Add-Ins. Anything installed that might be doing this?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions