Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Mysterious Double Deckered Cells

I copied data from an internet message board into excel. (The message board
information had originally been created with excel data then edited online.)
When I pasted the data into excel, a few rows of data that had been editted
on the message board had double deckered cells.

For example, one row of this data is in row 29. Cells G29 and G30 are the
doubled data. When I ask excel to go to cell A30, it doesn't seem to exist
and excel automatically goes to A29.

To fix this, I can cut the info from G30 and paste it into G29 then delete
row 30. I'm not much for manual work and was hoping someone knew a way to
prevent this or fix it in one or two swift manuevers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kellia wrote:
I copied data from an internet message board into excel. (The message board
information had originally been created with excel data then edited online.)
When I pasted the data into excel, a few rows of data that had been editted
on the message board had double deckered cells.

For example, one row of this data is in row 29. Cells G29 and G30 are the
doubled data. When I ask excel to go to cell A30, it doesn't seem to exist
and excel automatically goes to A29.

To fix this, I can cut the info from G30 and paste it into G29 then delete
row 30. I'm not much for manual work and was hoping someone knew a way to
prevent this or fix it in one or two swift manuevers.

The "double deckered" cells are probably, in Excel-speak, merged. In
E2003 and prior You can un-merge them by clicking in a cell (or
selecting all cells) and choosing Format | Cells | Alignment and clear
the check mark in "Merge cells". Not sure of the procedure in E2007.

I would opt for prevention though. When you paste the data you copied
from the message, instead of just pasting, click Edit | Paste Special
and choose the Text option.