Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default File encrypted in Excel format. How to decrypt the file?

I have a password protected spreadsheet that has somehow become encrypted. I
say that because I was in the file just yesterday and this AM it's encrypted.
Excel will not open the spreadsheet indicating that it is encrypted. What
do I need to do? This is a very important file.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you may have missed posting part of the error message.

Perhaps "this file is read-only or encrypted" would be more like it?

Post the entire message you get when you attempt to open the file.

But...........if it is a very important file you surely have a recent backup
you could fall back on.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:51:03 -0700, Chuck
wrote:

I have a password protected spreadsheet that has somehow become encrypted. I
say that because I was in the file just yesterday and this AM it's encrypted.
Excel will not open the spreadsheet indicating that it is encrypted. What
do I need to do? This is a very important file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The error states "Excel cannot access "zzzzzzzz.xls". The document may be
read-only or encrypted." I do have a backup taken last week (03/25) the
last time changes were made to the file. However, the back up is showing as
encrypted as well. I was using it just yesterday. Now both the backup and
the original are encrypted and for the life of me I don't know why. Actually
the folder they are in is encrypted as well.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

From where are you attempting to open the workbooks?

Hard Drive or removable media?

If the latter, try copying to HDD first then open it from there.

Or try the Recovery Tool from StartProgramsMS OfficeToolsApplication
Recovery

Gord

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:14:11 -0700, Chuck
wrote:

The error states "Excel cannot access "zzzzzzzz.xls". The document may be
read-only or encrypted." I do have a backup taken last week (03/25) the
last time changes were made to the file. However, the back up is showing as
encrypted as well. I was using it just yesterday. Now both the backup and
the original are encrypted and for the life of me I don't know why. Actually
the folder they are in is encrypted as well.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That didn't work. I have tried executing from the backup as well as the
harddrive and neither are working. I have reinstalled Excel as well. It
seems to me that if I can decrypt the file, I have no problems. However, I
have no idea how it got encrypted and therefore have no idea what to use to
decrypt it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you create and save a new file does Excel still give you a problem?

Sometimes files just get corrupted and nothing can be done with them.

Or it could be a permissions problem.

If you do a google search on "read only or encrypted" you will get lots of
hits with some suggestions.

People have had success with openoffice being able to recover damaged
Excel files.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

Gord