Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default quick ? on how to auto fill text from one cell to another

Hi everyone,

I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to autofill text from one cell
to another. For example, everytime I type text into cell A20, I want
the exact same thing to cell BL20. The same for B20, BL20, etc.

How do I go about that? I already know how to copy formulas from one
cell to another by dragging the skinny black line of the cell. I guess
I just need the formula for a simple IDENTICAL copying of text.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord,

Thanks for the prompt reply. No typo. It's the content that is in
cell A20(yeah it's the first column) that I want to automatically fill
in: BL20. That way I don't have to type it twice. The same for A21
copied to BL21.

Thanks again,

Mike

Gord Dibben wrote:
Looks like a typo in your post.

Perhaps AL20 same as A20?

In AL20 enter =A20

Drag/copy that across to BL20

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 28 Jun 2006 14:29:38 -0700, wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to autofill text from one cell
to another. For example, everytime I type text into cell A20, I want
the exact same thing to cell BL20. The same for B20, BL20, etc.

How do I go about that? I already know how to copy formulas from one
cell to another by dragging the skinny black line of the cell. I guess
I just need the formula for a simple IDENTICAL copying of text.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Spreadsheet

In cell BL20 type =A20.

Now, anything entered in A20 will appear in BL20.

--
Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34730

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MIKE

For some reason it just shows in that cell "=A20"

This is driving me nuts. What am I doing wrong?

Spreadsheet wrote:
In cell BL20 type =A20.

Now, anything entered in A20 will appear in BL20.

--
Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34730
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=556685

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Format that cell (BL20 as General or anything other than text), then retype the
formula.

But I like this instead:

=if(a20="","",a20)

Spreadsheet wrote:
In cell BL20 type =A20.

Now, anything entered in A20 will appear in BL20.

--
Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34730
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=556685

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MIKE

whew! I guess it was just that I had to format the cells. Thanks a
million dave! ;-)

Mike

Spreadsheet wrote:
In cell BL20 type =A20.

Now, anything entered in A20 will appear in BL20.

--
Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34730
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=556685

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MIKE

Sorry about that Gord. Thanks for all your help and everyone else.

Another ?: How do I make Excel associate numbers to each other?

For example, I sell on ebay and ebay has category#'s for every
category. I'm also opening up an e-commerce store. Only thing is that
the category#'s in my e-commerce store aren't the same as ebay's. I
wish I could just change the store categories to ebay's, but it's not
possible. For instance, in my ebay store, PS2 action adventure games
carry 54321, and in my e-commerce store (off ebay) the category code is
987654 (these are arbitrary numbers). Is there any way to simplify
this so when i put in one category code into a cell, another cell would
translate/associate that code with it's corresponding code?

Hopefully I didn't sound too confusing.

Thanks,

Mike

Gord Dibben wrote:
OK

You've got lotsa help but see where my "typo" question came from........

For example, everytime I type text into cell A20, I want
the exact same thing to cell BL20. The same for B20, BL20, etc.

You refer to BL20 twice. Once for A20 and once for B20.

Gord

wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to autofill text from one cell
to another. For example, everytime I type text into cell A20, I want
the exact same thing to cell BL20. The same for B20, BL20, etc.

How do I go about that? I already know how to copy formulas from one
cell to another by dragging the skinny black line of the cell. I guess
I just need the formula for a simple IDENTICAL copying of text.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Mike

If you have the two lists of associated/corresponding numbers in adjacent
columns you can use a VLOOKUP formula to achieve what you want.

Assume you have Sheet2 col A with ebay numbers and col B with your corresponding
numbers. 100 numbers per column

In B1 of sheet1 enter this formula =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B100,2,FALSE)

In A1 of sheet1 enter an ebay number.

Your number will be returned to B1

Then you'll want to learn how to make a Data Validation drop-down in sheet1 A1
so's you can just pick from the drop-down.

Best to visit Debra Dalgleish's site for DV ins and outs.

Also see her index at http://www.contextures.on.ca/tiptech.html

Tons of info and laid out very nicely with lots of screen shots for clarity.

One of our most often referenced sites.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP