Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default getting rid of copy/overwrite prompt on Save

I use an Excel document that is stored on a server, not my local
machine. Many people access and change the document, but with exclusive
access or read only access. The document is not shared. Track changes
is not turned on. Protect workbook is not turned on. Nevertheless, when
I open the document, change it, and try to Save it, I get the following
dialog box:

"The file Example.xls may have been changed by another user since you
last saved it. In that case what do you want to do?"
o "Save a copy."
o "Overwrite changes."
OK Cancel"

How do I get rid of this question. It is driving me nuts and also
appears to be preventing VLOOKUP functions from other workbooks from
behaving properly.

Thanks,

John

P.S. The entire question seems rather moronic. "MAY have been
changed"? At least tell me whether or not another user changed it since
my last access. If not, there is nothing to ask about. If it WAS
changed by another user, then it happened BEFORE I opened it, which is
something that commonly happens with lots of files all the time. If a
warning of this dire occurrence is necessary, then the time to warn me
is when I OPEN it, not after I have spent time altering something that
might not be what I thought it was, and then let me know after I am
finished working.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

John

Have a look at this KB Article

"The file may have been changed..." error when you save workbook to network
server in Excel 2002

Myrna Larson also reported that she got this error when opening a workspace
(*.xlw) file.

Opening the workbooks individually solved the problem.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:05:42 -0800, John Collins wrote:

[...]

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP