Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Separating information in cell

I am using Excel 2003 SP2. I receive reports with first and last names
together in one cell:

Jones,Edward
Smith, David
Longview,Samantha

Is there a way to move the first name to the same row in the next column,
then remove the comma following the last name?
--
Cynthia
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With your names in column A, make sure column B is empty so it will accept
the first names.

Select the range of cells in column A that contain the names
Goto the menu DataText to Columns
Select DelimitedNext
Select CommaFinish

This will move the first names and remove the commas at the same time.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cynthia" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2003 SP2. I receive reports with first and last names
together in one cell:

Jones,Edward
Smith, David
Longview,Samantha

Is there a way to move the first name to the same row in the next column,
then remove the comma following the last name?
--
Cynthia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Chip has lots to help you at
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm
for more examples do a Google with search term: Excel last name first name.
I got nearly 2 million hits
Hope you do not think this a lazy answer but why reinvent the wheel?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP