Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LBURDETT

Default how to change the insert function key to always be an = sign

I got a new computer at work. The insert function key on my previous excel
software on my previous computer had been changed so that it permanently
showed an equal sign, instead of the fx characters. Thereby eliminating the
need to select the "sum" option in the function box. I used this = sign
feature all the time as I edited numbers in a cell. I would need to add an
additional figure to an existing figure in a cell. And to do so, I would go
to the cell, click on the = sign (just in front of the formula bar) and it
would automatically allow me to just hit + and the additional number without
having to go select "Sum" first. When I got the equal sign was no longer
there, just the fx. I need to know how to change the fx to the equal sign.
Hopefully this makes sense. (version Exel 2003)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

You don't need SUM and you don't need +. They're leftovers from other
spreadsheets.
Just type =A1+B1 and press ENTER (just an example, of course)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"LBURDETT" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CyberTaz

Hello -

All that button did was insert the = , which you can type yourself. Once you
select the cell you just need to click at the beginning of the value in the
formula bar and type the = , rather than clicking on an "= Button".
Everything else still works the same way.

Regards |:)

"LBURDETT" wrote:

I got a new computer at work. The insert function key on my previous excel
software on my previous computer had been changed so that it permanently
showed an equal sign, instead of the fx characters. Thereby eliminating the
need to select the "sum" option in the function box. I used this = sign
feature all the time as I edited numbers in a cell. I would need to add an
additional figure to an existing figure in a cell. And to do so, I would go
to the cell, click on the = sign (just in front of the formula bar) and it
would automatically allow me to just hit + and the additional number without
having to go select "Sum" first. When I got the equal sign was no longer
there, just the fx. I need to know how to change the fx to the equal sign.
Hopefully this makes sense. (version Exel 2003)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

The = icon disappeared in newer versions of excel (xl2002???).

You can add an = icon
Tools|customize|commands tab|Insert category
(Scroll down the list until you find the = icon)

And drag it to your favorite toolbar (nicely positioned).

It's not quite the same, but maybe it'll be sufficient for you.

LBURDETT wrote:

I got a new computer at work. The insert function key on my previous excel
software on my previous computer had been changed so that it permanently
showed an equal sign, instead of the fx characters. Thereby eliminating the
need to select the "sum" option in the function box. I used this = sign
feature all the time as I edited numbers in a cell. I would need to add an
additional figure to an existing figure in a cell. And to do so, I would go
to the cell, click on the = sign (just in front of the formula bar) and it
would automatically allow me to just hit + and the additional number without
having to go select "Sum" first. When I got the equal sign was no longer
there, just the fx. I need to know how to change the fx to the equal sign.
Hopefully this makes sense. (version Exel 2003)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sridhar

but still i need to type the equal sign . if i just type 2 in the formula bar
and press enter, the number that appears in the cell is 0.02. This is very
cumbersome as the earlier version was simpler. is there any way that i can
avoid typing the = sign before i enter any number in the cell

LBURDETT wrote:

I got a new computer at work. The insert function key on my previous excel
software on my previous computer had been changed so that it permanently
showed an equal sign, instead of the fx characters. Thereby eliminating the
need to select the "sum" option in the function box. I used this = sign
feature all the time as I edited numbers in a cell. I would need to add an
additional figure to an existing figure in a cell. And to do so, I would go
to the cell, click on the = sign (just in front of the formula bar) and it
would automatically allow me to just hit + and the additional number without
having to go select "Sum" first. When I got the equal sign was no longer
there, just the fx. I need to know how to change the fx to the equal sign.
Hopefully this makes sense. (version Exel 2003)

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You have tools|Options|edit tab|fixed decimal places toggled on.

I'd turn that off.

(Did you actually have it turned on for a reason?)

LBURDETT wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sridhar

thanks for the help. I did not turn it on. But one thing is still bugging me
why should the number i type get divided by 100 if this fixed decimal place
is turned on.typing 3 is should get only 3.00 and not 0.03

LBURDETT wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I don't understand.

This setting (2 fixed decimals) tells excel to divide by 100.

So entering 3 would be equivalent to 3/100 = .03.

This is feature that is useful to anyone who has to work with lots of numbers
(bookkeepers???).

Instead of typing:
123.45
they can type:
12345
and excel will "insert" that decimal.

It saves microseconds each time the user enters a number. (I don't use it
either.)