Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CW CW is offline

Default Conditional format will not work without $ (removed to allow copyi

Hi,

I have conditional formatting set-up where a range of cells will change
colour based on values in another couple of cells.

The rule was along the lines of:
Cell Value Is between =$D$134 and $E$134

This worked fine however in order to allow me to copy the rule to other rows
I removed the '$' signs (based on a recommendation in another post).

Unfortunately after copying the formula now no longer works. The rule is now:
Cell Value Is between =D134 and E134

Can anyone help by explaining what the '$' does and how I might be able to
fix this as I need to be able to copy the rule to a several rows without
changing each time.

Thanks
CW
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the values you want to compare ARE ALWAYS in D134 and E134, then you need
the $ signs. Those tell Excel to anchor the comparison to those cells.

If you are trying to use different compariosn values on each row, so that,
fr instance, the D134 and E134 apply to row 134, but row 135 has different
values in colmns D & E, then you would remove the $ that precedes the row
number, like $D134

Was that at all clear?

"CW" wrote:

Hi,

I have conditional formatting set-up where a range of cells will change
colour based on values in another couple of cells.

The rule was along the lines of:
Cell Value Is between =$D$134 and $E$134

This worked fine however in order to allow me to copy the rule to other rows
I removed the '$' signs (based on a recommendation in another post).

Unfortunately after copying the formula now no longer works. The rule is now:
Cell Value Is between =D134 and E134

Can anyone help by explaining what the '$' does and how I might be able to
fix this as I need to be able to copy the rule to a several rows without
changing each time.

Thanks
CW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CW CW is offline

Default Conditional format will not work without $ (removed to allow c

Great, thanks Duke, that worked