mduck

Default Text from one sheet cell to appear in another sheet cell

Is there a function or formula that I can put in a cell to grab text
from a different sheet's cell? I'm working on a template for people to
use where they use different sheets in the same Excel file to provide
specific information. I want certain cells of info to automatically
populate cells in the Overall Template plan sheet. So that by the time
they are done completing all of the separate sheets, they will have one
master sheet that's already completed. Does this make sense? Any help
you have, I would greatly appreciate it! There has to be an easy way to
do this, but I'm not finding it.

--
mduck
mduck's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28398

FireGeek822

Here are a couple formulas:

1 Workbook, Multiple sheets
In Sheet 2, select a cell for information from Sheet 1. Type the
following function:
=Sheet1!B1

2 Workbooks, Multiple sheets
In Sheet 1 of Workbook 2, select a cell for information from Workbook
1, Sheet 1, Cell E8. Type the following function:
=[Book1.xls]Sheet1!$E$8

TIP: If you have both workbooks open at the same time, scale the
windows to have them side by side. Click on a cell in Book2 and type =
then click your mouse in Book1 and the cell you desire. The formula
will populate automatically.

Hope this helps.

Tammy

mduck

That's exactly what I needed! Thanks for your help.

--
mduck
mduck's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28398
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=479870

lucasjackson

I just posted the same question and got the same good advice.

Now I'm wondering if there is a formula that will allow me to enter data
into sheet 2, and have it copy automatically into sheet 1 and 3, or into
sheet 3 going to sheet 1 and 2? So that I can enter the data into any sheet
and have it transfer to all sheets, rather than always from sheet 1 to sheets
2 and 3.

mduck wrote:

Is there a function or formula that I can put in a cell to grab text
from a different sheet's cell? I'm working on a template for people to
use where they use different sheets in the same Excel file to provide
specific information. I want certain cells of info to automatically
populate cells in the Overall Template plan sheet. So that by the time
they are done completing all of the separate sheets, they will have one
master sheet that's already completed. Does this make sense? Any help
you have, I would greatly appreciate it! There has to be an easy way to
do this, but I'm not finding it.

JE McGimpsey

No - cells can contain constants or formulae, not both. Making an entry
will overwrite the formula.

It can be done with VBA event macros. Search the archives for a variety
of ways:

In article ,
lucasjackson wrote:

Now I'm wondering if there is a formula that will allow me to enter data
into sheet 2, and have it copy automatically into sheet 1 and 3, or into
sheet 3 going to sheet 1 and 2? So that I can enter the data into any sheet
and have it transfer to all sheets, rather than always from sheet 1 to sheets
2 and 3.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGeek822 View Post
Here are a couple formulas:

1 Workbook, Multiple sheets
In Sheet 2, select a cell for information from Sheet 1. Type the
following function:
=Sheet1!B1

2 Workbooks, Multiple sheets
In Sheet 1 of Workbook 2, select a cell for information from Workbook
1, Sheet 1, Cell E8. Type the following function:
=[Book1.xls]Sheet1!$E$8

TIP: If you have both workbooks open at the same time, scale the
windows to have them side by side. Click on a cell in Book2 and type =
then click your mouse in Book1 and the cell you desire. The formula
will populate automatically.

Hope this helps.

Tammy

Thanks Tammy,

I have a slightly different question. Text from one sheet cell to appear in another sheet cell is good but what if I have 20 sheets each with a different invoice number and totals...How do I get it to list each invoice number from each sheet on to one sheet in consecutive order without it trying to put it all into one cell? In other words, to compile a separate report of the invoices, each invoice needs to have its own cell or row in that report. Is that possible?How?