Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Yen currency symbol

Hello

I am creating an Excel spreadsheet and need to have the Yen currency symbol.
When I go into Format/Cells/Currency, the Yen currency symbol is not
available. I can get it in Inset/Symbols. The problem with going through
Insert is that I can't get any formulas to work.

Does anyone know how I can get the Yen currency symbol into
Format/Cells/Currency?

Thanks for your help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Click on FORMAT in the menu and select CELLS.

If necessary, click the NUMBER tab.

In the CATEGORY column, click CUSTOM.

To the right of the category column in the type field, remove whatever might
be there and type a 0 (zero) then hold down the <Alt key and on the number
pad type 0165 and let go of the <Alt key. The yen symbol is now displayed
as part of the format.

YOu can apply this format just as you would any other format that's available.

Hope this helps...
--
Kevin Backmann

" wrote:

Hello

I am creating an Excel spreadsheet and need to have the Yen currency symbol.
When I go into Format/Cells/Currency, the Yen currency symbol is not
available. I can get it in Inset/Symbols. The problem with going through
Insert is that I can't get any formulas to work.

Does anyone know how I can get the Yen currency symbol into
Format/Cells/Currency?

Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

use Alt + 0165 u will get ¥ and copy it

then go to start | control panel | date,time,language and regional
option |
change the format of numbers, dates & times | customize | currency tab
| currency symbol paste it | apply | ok | apply | ok

Now u can add the ¥ symbol to the values by just click ctrl + shift +
4

On Sep 19, 1:01*am,
wrote:
Hello

I am creating an Excel spreadsheet and need to have the Yen currency symbol.
*When I go into Format/Cells/Currency, the Yen currency symbol is not
available. *I can get it in Inset/Symbols. *The problem with going through
Insert is that I can't get any formulas to work. *

Does anyone know how I can get the Yen currency symbol into
Format/Cells/Currency?

Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Kevin. That is a big help.

Another question. I am exporting a detailed trial balance from Great Plains
into Excel. Is there a way to get Excel to always read any yen amount with
the yen symbol as a number and not text.

Joan

" wrote:

Hello

I am creating an Excel spreadsheet and need to have the Yen currency symbol.
When I go into Format/Cells/Currency, the Yen currency symbol is not
available. I can get it in Inset/Symbols. The problem with going through
Insert is that I can't get any formulas to work.

Does anyone know how I can get the Yen currency symbol into
Format/Cells/Currency?

Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know of a way to get Excel to acknowledge your Yen values, however,
what you can do is bring in your data from Great Plains, select the cells
that have your Yen values and then press <Ctrl + H to open the FIND AND
REPLACE dialog box.

In the FIND WHAT field hold down the <Alt key and type 0165 on the number
pad and let go of <Alt. Leave the REPLACE WITH field blank and click the
REPLACE ALL command button. Your values will be stripped of the Yen symbol
and Excel should automatically recognize them as numbers.

--
Kevin Backmann