Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
goody444

Default Can't get data from a web page to chart in excel. Any solutions?

I want to chart some data I have copied from an internet website. I have
two columns: column 1 is time and column 2 is a fluctuating value. There
are many data points so I cannot hand type the numbers. Here is an
example of the data I am trying to plot:

http://www.tradingday.com/is/siri.html

use this link and at the bottom there will be stock ticker values. This
is where the data is copied from. I would like to chart both "time" and
"price". My problem is listed below:

When I paste the numbers into excel, the columns of cells are "merged"
so I have to split them to edit. Once that is done, I try to chart the
data but the graph comes up as completely blank.

I have also tried pasting the data as "paste special" pasting only with
"values" yet this also does not work. It's not the data; if I type a
sample of the data next to it, excel has no problem charting it. It
seems to be the format when the cell is pasted.

I have even gone through and tried to reformat the data, yet no matter
which format for the cells I choose, the numbers do not change. I have
also gotten rid of any protection on the cells (ie locked data).

Does anyone have any idea how I can get these numbers to chart?

Sorry if that is confusing, please respond with any questions you have.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

--
goody444
goody444's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32015

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
R..VENKATARAMAN

dont copy and paste use get external data in excel

open an excel workbook and any sheet
click data(menubar)-get extgernal dafa-new webquery.
in the<new webquerywindow type the url
in the <address bar
further steps are in excel 2002
click <go
the whole web page will come in the window
the tables will have an yellow arrow
click the arrow of the particualr window and the arrow becomes a tick
then click <import
follow the wizard
the table comes in excel and you can use it whatver purpose you want.
if there is problem send me an email

"goody444" wrote in
message ...