Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count If Column A = x and Column B = y

I am trying to use the count function where two conditions in different
columns need to be satisfied and having no luck. Basically I want to look in
the first column to see if it's A, then look in 2nd column to see if it's B,
then count it... is that possible?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Count If Column A = x and Column B = y

Yes, it is definitely possible to use the COUNTIF function with multiple criteria in different columns. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the cell where you want to display the result of the COUNTIF function.
  2. Type the following formula:
    Formula:
    =COUNTIFS(A:A,"x",B:B,"y"
  3. Replace "A:A" with the column where you want to check for the first condition (in this case, "x").
  4. Replace "B:B" with the column where you want to check for the second condition (in this case, "y").
  5. Press Enter to see the result.

Note: Make sure that the criteria are enclosed in quotation marks and separated by commas. Also, make sure that the ranges are enclosed in parentheses and separated by commas.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Trish" wrote:

I am trying to use the count function where two conditions in different
columns need to be satisfied and having no luck. Basically I want to look in
the first column to see if it's A, then look in 2nd column to see if it's B,
then count it... is that possible?

I had this same question earlier in the year. I just tried to plug in the
sumproduct command and it didn't work for me.

I'm going to give you a much longer method of doing it which was my work
around.

I had 4 categories to marry:
Status of Client
Date of Arrival
VOLAG
County

And what I was doing was counting all clients arriving during a month from a
volag in certain counties on a separate page.

What I did was create some columns off to the right of the main spreadsheet.
These columns were IF then statements such as
=IF(I3="r",+B3&C3,"") where
I is status
B3 is Volag
C3 is County
That one being in S

In the U column I put the year and month concatenated in
=+S3&+YEAR(A3)&+MONTH(A3)
Where A was the date of arrival

I suppose that could have been one command, but I had other sheets working
off the data of where.

In the Total Sheet I had
Column A Volag
Column B County
Row 2 Date by month

Finally the calculation for the total was
=+COUNTIF('Client List'!$U:$U,$A4&$B4&+YEAR(E$2)&+MONTH(E$2)).

And that totaled the number of people who came in on that date in that
county with that assigned VOLAG.

I'd post the sheet, but I don't think you do an attachment.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Trish, please try:

=COUNTIFS(A1:A100,"A",B1:B100,"B")

Please advise if that is what you were looking for.

Trish wrote:
I am trying to use the count function where two conditions in different
columns need to be satisfied and having no luck. Basically I want to look in
the first column to see if it's A, then look in 2nd column to see if it's B,
then count it... is that possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There's no reason Sumproduct won't work in this situation.

You should spend some time getting to know it, as it's a very useful
function. It's worth every minute you spend on it.

By the way, the pluses in your formulae are superfluous.
=S3&YEAR(A3)&MONTH(A3)
works just as well, and will be easier for others to understand.

Regards,
Fred.

"Trish" wrote:

I am trying to use the count function where two conditions in different
columns need to be satisfied and having no luck. Basically I want to
look in
the first column to see if it's A, then look in 2nd column to see if
it's B,
then count it... is that possible?

I had this same question earlier in the year. I just tried to plug in the
sumproduct command and it didn't work for me.

I'm going to give you a much longer method of doing it which was my work
around.

I had 4 categories to marry:
Status of Client
Date of Arrival
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think I found the problem: Can Sumproduct compare cell content to another
cell content?

I am so game for this, but I have been trying to play with the command on
and off for 2 days (on work time) and I'm not getting anywhere. I feel so dee
dee deeeeee here.

Im trying
Sumproduct(('Client List'!A$2:A$60000,=E$2)(Client
List!B$2:B$60000,=$A4)(Client List!C$2:C$60000,=$B4)( Client
List!I$2:I$60000,=R)

Client List Column A is the dates. Client List Column B is the volags.
Client List C is the County, Client List I is the Status as refugee.

On the Totals sheet the dates run across Row 2. Totals of the year are the
next row using the sum command, and then the next 12 rows list the monthy
totals with the criteria in A, B, and C

The formula above is In Cell E4 which is under the 2008-01 date, the USCC
VOLAG in Atlantic County

Here is the total table

2008-01
0
USCC ATLANTIC Sumproduct(('Client List'!A$2:A$60000,=E$2)(Client
List!B$2:B$60000,=$A4)(Client List!C$2:C$60000,=$B4)( Client
List!I$2:I$60000,=R)
USCC CAMDEN 0
USCC ESSEX 0
USCC PASSAIC 0
USCC MERCER 0
LIRS ESSEX 0
LIRS MERCER 0
JFS BERGEN 0
JVS ESSEX 0
JFVS MIDDLESEX 0
IRC UNION 0
IRSA HUDSON 0

I put it in and got an error.

I assumed I had a problem with the date, so I tried the formula again this
time without the reference to clientlist A

Still have an error.

I think I found the problem: Can Sumproduct compare to a cell content?

So then I tried this:

+Sumproduct((Client List!B$2:B$60000,="USCC")(Client
List!C$2:C$60000,="ATLANTIC")( Client List!I$2:I$60000,=R))

Just to see if that was the problem. I still had an error.

Help please!

"Sometimes the genius and the idiot are the same person"
--Nitchie

"Trish" wrote:

I am trying to use the count function where two conditions in different
columns need to be satisfied and having no luck. Basically I want to
look in
the first column to see if it's A, then look in 2nd column to see if
it's B,
then count it... is that possible?

I had this same question earlier in the year. I just tried to plug in the
sumproduct command and it didn't work for me.

I'm going to give you a much longer method of doing it which was my work
around.

I had 4 categories to marry:
Status of Client
Date of Arrival
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Fred I SO appreciate the effort.

I'm just not used to being this success impaired.

I cut and pasted your formula in and then added the + at the beginning. It
still says there is a problem with the first array. And I even tried
changing 'Client List' to 'Client_List' but that didn't work.

"Trish" wrote:

I am trying to use the count function where two conditions in
different
columns need to be satisfied and having no luck. Basically I want to
look in
the first column to see if it's A, then look in 2nd column to see if
it's B,
then count it... is that possible?

I had this same question earlier in the year. I just tried to plug in
the
sumproduct command and it didn't work for me.

I'm going to give you a much longer method of doing it which was my
work
around.

I had 4 categories to marry:
Status of Client
Date of Arrival
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

1. To determine whether to use 'Client List' or 'Client_List', look at the
name of the spreadsheet on the tabs at the bottom. The name you use in your
formulas must match the name on the tab of the spreadsheet.

2. I had trouble with the copy and paste as well. When I created the
formula, I simply modified the one you has posted. However, when I pasted
that into Excel, it complained about the quotes. They weren't regular
quotes, but smart quotes, which Excel doesn't like. When I changed the
quotes, Excel accepted the formula. Here's a copy of what I used:
=SUMPRODUCT(('Client List'!A$2:A$60000=E$2)*('Client
List'!B$2:B$60000=$A4)*('Client List'!C$2:C$60000=$B4)*('Client
List'!I$2:I$60000="R"))
Remember, if this appears on more than one line in your message, you will
need to delete the word wrap.

"Trish" wrote:

I am trying to use the count function where two conditions in
different
columns need to be satisfied and having no luck. Basically I want
look in
the first column to see if it's A, then look in 2nd column to see
if
it's B,
then count it... is that possible?

I had this same question earlier in the year. I just tried to plug
in
the
sumproduct command and it didn't work for me.

I'm going to give you a much longer method of doing it which was my
work
around.

I had 4 categories to marry:
Status of Client
Date of Arrival
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, countifs( ) works only in Excel 2007. Not sure about sumproduct( ).
Please try:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="A")*(B1:B100="B"))

Please advise if this works in Excel 2003.

Trish wrote:
I get "#NAME?" error ;(

Trish, please try:

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
the first column to see if it's A, then look in 2nd column to see if it's B,
then count it... is that possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Fred, I've been playing with this on an off for months and I think I see my
confusion:

I was trying to sum the contents of a column. Was this command you were
instructing designed to sum the column or PROVIDE ME with the judgement call
on whether this column should be part of the summation?

"Trish" wrote:

I am trying to use the count function where two conditions in
different
columns need to be satisfied and having no luck. Basically I want
look in
the first column to see if it's A, then look in 2nd column to see
if
it's B,
then count it... is that possible?

I had this same question earlier in the year. I just tried to plug
in
the
sumproduct command and it didn't work for me.

I'm going to give you a much longer method of doing it which was my
work
around.

I had 4 categories to marry:
Status of Client
Date of Arrival
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

We've sure been beating around the bush if all you want to do is sum a
column. Solutions to this problem are easily found.

What column do you want to sum? What are the conditions that need to be met?
What version of Excel do you have?

"Trish" wrote:

[...]

Date of Arrival
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can you tell me how to email you the file so you can see it? Then you'll see
what I did and how to make it easier using the sumproduct for when I do this
sort of thing in the future?

"Fred Smith" wrote:

We've sure been beating around the bush if all you want to do is sum a
column. Solutions to this problem are easily found.

What column do you want to sum? What are the conditions that need to be met?
What version of Excel do you have?

Regards,
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry Fred, I didn't answer your question. No I am not trying to sum a column.

I am trying to find out what clients came in, to a VOLAG point of service,
who were refugees, during a given month. Each of those criteria is measured
in a separate column.

I am also in another sheet in the document trying to see which of those
clients (all the criteria above) did not have their 90 day health services
(examinations etc) process completed within 90 days of entry.

I solved the problem with concatination, but was curious about the
sumproduct function because it would both eliminate the need for all the
extra concatination columns and at the same time, automate the process so
someone who takes over after me will not have to fill down the columns.

"Trish" wrote:

[...]

Date of Arrival
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Fred I found the problem. It does not seem to work between worksheets.

In sheet one I made 3 simple columns:

B 2 X
B 2 X
A 1 Y
B 1 Y
B 1 X
B 2 X
B 2 X

I ran the basic subproduct

=+SUMPRODUCT(($A1:$A20="B")*($B1:$B20=1)*($C1:$C20 ="X"))

and got - 1

Then I inserted a new sheet

I put in

=SUMPRODUCT(Sheet1!$A$2:Sheet1!$A$20="B")

Answer - 0

=SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!$A$2:$A$20="B")*(Sheet1!$B$2:S heet2!B$20=1))
=SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!$A$2:$A$20="B")*(Sheet1!$C$2:S heet2!C$20="X"))
Answer - #VALUE

I stopped there and copied this for you.

So...does sumproduct work across pages?

If not, do not feel like this was a complete waste of time, because I can
still eliminate most of my concatinations.

"Trish" wrote:

[...]

Date of Arrival
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

All you need to do is specify your ranges properly.
Instead of:
=SUMPRODUCT(Sheet1!$A$2:Sheet1!$A$20="B")
Use:
=SUMPRODUCT(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$20="B")

Note in this formula, you specified the range properly the first time, but
not the second time:
=SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!$A$2:$A$20="B")*(Sheet1!$B$2:S heet2!B$20=1))
Use this instead:
=SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!$A$2:$A$20="B")*(Sheet1!$B$2:B $20=1))

The best way to insert ranges into a formula is to get Excel to do it.
Contrary to humans, Excel will specify the range properly every time. When
writing a formula, do the following (using your Sumproduct as an example):
Enter:
=sumproduct((
Now highlight the range you want to use. Go to Sheet2, and highlight cells
a2:a20. Watch the navigation bar, and you will see Excel insert the proper
range addresses. If you want an absolute address, press F4.
Continue entering the formula you want, as in:
="B")*(
Highlight your second range
Finish off the formula:
))

"Trish" wrote:

[...]

Date of Arrival
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well...one correction, when I let the computer pick, it did not include the *
so I had to go back and fix it, but for the first time, I saw it work inter
sheet. Maybe now I can do this with the other file. Talk to you in another
3 months. :)

"Trish" wrote:

[...]

Date of Arrival
VOLAG
County

And what I was doing was counting all clients arriving during
month
from
volag in certain counties on a separate page.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That's right, Excel will not enter operators. You have to do that yourself.
You will see that my instructions stated you needed to enter the * (and the
parentheses) yourself.

"Trish" wrote:

[...]

Date of Arrival
VOLAG
County

And what I was doing was counting all clients arriving
during
month
from
volag in certain counties on a separate page.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Trish wrote:
I am trying to use the count function where two conditions in different
columns need to be satisfied and having no luck. Basically I want to look in
the first column to see if it's A, then look in 2nd column to see if it's B,
then count it... is that possible?

Hi Chin - this works great for two fields, but not for three do you know a workaround for this? Ie I want to count how many letters (Column A), sent to person (Column B), responded to Y or N (Columnn C) Thx