Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

Default Imbedding a Word document into Excel

I am trying to imbed a Word document named INSTRUCTIONS.doc that is
about 4 pages long into an Excel worksheet (named INSTRUCTIONS (both
Office 2003).

My first question is can I then e-mail the Excel file and expect that
the recipient will be able to click on the INSTRUCTION Worksheet and
read the entire Word document? If the answer is no, the remainder is
somewhat redundant. If NO, I'll just mail both documents. If Yes,
what am I doing wrong trying to set this up?

I go through the following steps: Insert menu / Object / Create from
File / Microsoft Word Document / C:\INSTRUCTIONS.doc. Only about 1
1/2 pages of the 4 pages of the document come through. Otherwise it
looks fine.

If I mark "Create an Icon" (and edit the text to "INSTRUCTIONS", it
puts a colored shortcut icon on a white background on the Excel
INSTRUCTIONS Worksheet (which is what I desired), and if I double-
click it the entire Word document comes up. Hooray!

BUT, the first time I use it, and then close the INSTRUCTIONS
Worksheet by opening another Worksheet, and then return to the
INSTRUCTIONS worksheet, the icon has lost its color and is on a white/
black striped background. It will still work to retrieve the Word
Document at this point, however, if I close the file and reopen it,
the text I put on the icon has changed to DOCUMENT , on a white
background. It still will retrieve the entire Word Document if double-
clicked. The next time I return to the INSTRUCTIONS Worksheet the
icon has lost its color and is on the "striped" background .

Also, I am unable to edit the icon (except to change the text when I
mark the icon selection box). I can resize it, but cannot format
otherwise, nor edit the text. The Formula Bar reads
EMBED("DOCUMENT")."").

How do I either: Lock the icon so it wont change, OR Display the
entire document if I don't use an icon?

tia ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the user has access rights to the folder & drive location that the word
document is saved they will be able to open it w/o a problem.

If this is what you're trying to accomplish, you might try using a hyperlink
instead of a embedded word object. It would produce the same effect.
--
Kevin Backmann

"ed" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

Kevin: The user does not have access to my computer where the files
are stored. I will e-mail the Excel file to be downloaded and used on
others' computers. The first question is: Does the Excel file carry
the .doc file with it, or must a user be able to access the .doc file
on the original computer? The user cannot get into my computer.

ed

"ed" wrote:
[...]

tia ed- Hide quoted text -