Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Number Format

MS Office 2003

I have the following filter in a MS ACCESS query to pull buildings' square
feet in
size ranges in thousands from a range table.

NewRange: Format([Min],"###,") & " " & Format([Max],"###,")

I then move report into Excel to produce graph depicting number of stores in
each ranch.

However, Excel interprets numbers as date format and strangely shows first
entry in date format and remainder in desired format; e.g., 20 30.

Can filter be coded so Excel interprets output as general number?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It would be helpful if you gave us 3 or 4 examples of what you see in the
cells
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"shep" wrote in message
MS Office 2003

I have the following filter in a MS ACCESS query to pull buildings' square
feet in
size ranges in thousands from a range table.

NewRange: Format([Min],"###,") & " " & Format([Max],"###,")

I then move report into Excel to produce graph depicting number of stores
in
each ranch.

However, Excel interprets numbers as date format and strangely shows first
entry in date format and remainder in desired format; e.g., 20 30.

Can filter be coded so Excel interprets output as general number?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Shep,

One simple solution is to replace the " " with "x" so your numbers show as
20x30. If you know that your numbers are alway 2 digits then you could run
them together and just leave out the " " altogether. When in Excel you could
format them 00 00. You could bring them into Excel as two separate fields
and then concatenate them in Excel. But these are all suggestions based on
insufficient info.

I am not clear what you are doing with the 20 30 numbers when they come into
Excel, nor whether they are always 2 x 2 digits.
--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"shep" wrote:

MS Office 2003

I have the following filter in a MS ACCESS query to pull buildings' square
feet in
size ranges in thousands from a range table.

NewRange: Format([Min],"###,") & " " & Format([Max],"###,")

I then move report into Excel to produce graph depicting number of stores in
each ranch.

However, Excel interprets numbers as date format and strangely shows first
entry in date format and remainder in desired format; e.g., 20 30.

Can filter be coded so Excel interprets output as general number?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your responses

Here is report ACCESS produces:

# Range
17 10 20
37 20 30
27 30 40
19 40 50
25 50 60
32 60 70
48 70 80
35 80 90

Here is how it shows when analyzed with Excel:

Text13 CountOfRange
10/20/2008 17
20 30 37
30 40 27
40 50 19
50 60 25
60 70 32
70 80 48
80 90 35
90 100 15
100 110 5
120 130 4
130 140 1

I know that I can insert a symbol in the query that will cause Excel to show
numbers vice date, but I don't want the symbol on graph. Neither do I want
user to have to manipulate the Excel data. I may have to yield on one, but
that is basis for my request.