Junior Member

Default Make Cell Equal to File Name (not worksheet)

How do I make a formula for a cell to equal to the file name? I have found how to make it equal to the worksheet name but not yet the file name.

The reason I need this is I have my dad doing invoices and every time he makes a new invoice he copys the file and names it the invoice number. I'd like a cell in the invoice itself to equal the file name so that it reduces error as he only has to name once.

Thanks (first post!)

This seems like a really great site I wish I had known about it earlier as an excel enthusiast! lol!
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanderh View Post
How do I make a formula for a cell to equal to the file name? I have found how to make it equal to the worksheet name but not yet the file name.

The reason I need this is I have my dad doing invoices and every time he makes a new invoice he copys the file and names it the invoice number. I'd like a cell in the invoice itself to equal the file name so that it reduces error as he only has to name once.

Thanks (first post!)

This seems like a really great site I wish I had known about it earlier as an excel enthusiast! lol!

I found this:

=MID(CELL("filename"),SEARCH("[",CELL("filename"))+1,
SEARCH("]",CELL("filename"))-SEARCH("[",CELL("filename"))-1)

Only problem is it spits out the ".xlsx" at the end. How do I get rid of this extention?