Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Why does Excel spreadsheet lose format changes after saved?

I have Excel 2007 but have to save files in 97 Format (.xls). I have a
spread sheet that I have formatted the cells for accounting, number and
percentages formats. Everything looks great until I save the file, than when
I re-open it all the formatting changes I made are gone, but if I save the
file in .xlsx format everything works fine. Unfortunately, several of the
users who need access to my file are still using 97 Excel; so, I have to find
a way to save this file with the proper format.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Why does Excel spreadsheet lose format changes after saved?

It sounds like the issue may be related to compatibility between the newer Excel 2007 format and the older Excel 97 format. When you save the file in the older format, some of the formatting options may not be supported or may not transfer correctly.

One solution could be to try saving the file in a different format that is compatible with both versions of Excel, such as the Excel 97-2003 Workbook (.xls) format. This format should allow you to retain your formatting changes while still being compatible with older versions of Excel.

To save your file in the Excel 97-2003 Workbook format, follow these steps:
  1. Click on the "File" tab in Excel 2007.
  2. Select "Save As" from the menu.
  3. In the "Save As" dialog box, choose "Excel 97-2003 Workbook" from the "Save as type" dropdown menu.
  4. Give your file a name and choose a location to save it.
  5. Click "Save" to save the file in the older format.

Once you have saved the file in the Excel 97-2003 Workbook format, you should be able to open it in both Excel 2007 and Excel 97 without losing your formatting changes.

If this solution does not work, you may need to consider other options such as upgrading the older versions of Excel or finding a different file format that is compatible with all users.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I have been having the exact same issue over the last six months or so. The
problem only seems to be getting worse. I have scoured the internet looking
for solutions, but I'm unable to find any concrete reasons as to why this is
happening. It would be awesome to find a resolution to this.

"txlogic" wrote:

I have Excel 2007 but have to save files in 97 Format (.xls). I have a
spread sheet that I have formatted the cells for accounting, number and
percentages formats. Everything looks great until I save the file, than when
I re-open it all the formatting changes I made are gone, but if I save the
file in .xlsx format everything works fine. Unfortunately, several of the
users who need access to my file are still using 97 Excel; so, I have to find
a way to save this file with the proper format.

Junior Member

I'm having the same issue! Very frustrating.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kersplash View Post
I'm having the same issue! Very frustrating.
I am having the same issue, as well. For me, it started happening when I converted to Office/Excel 2010. Any number formats that were "General"
get automatically converted to another format when saved (so far I've seen all changed to either "Accounting" or "Date". This happens to the ENTIRE workbook (all tabs). Very frustrating -- it has happened now in two entirely different spreadsheets.