Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Vlookup Function with Multiple Reference Columns

I posted a question a few days ago, but didn't get an answer so let me give
more detail. I am trying to do a Vlookup in B1 in Worksheet 2 that
references a table in worksheet 1. The reference value though can be found
in either column A, B or C and the results (output) will be three columns
away from the reference column of the table. The Vlookup function looks at
the most left column of the table (so column A). How do I get the function
to look in A, B, C and return a value three columns over from the column it
found the reference value.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Worksheet 1
A B C D
E F
1 A Code B Code C Code A Results B Results C Results
2 T3ATRHYX T3BTRHYX T3CTRHYX 0.0909 0.1053 0.1739
3 T3ABCHYX T3BBCHYX T3CBCHYX 0.4545 0.3947 0.3478
4 T3ABCITX T3BBCITX T3CBCITX 0.3636 0.3947 0.3478

Worsheet 2

A B C
Code Results Input Column OutPut Column
1 T3ATRHYX 0.0909 1 4

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I guess it's only fitting that I reply to a post from Biff!

Try this:

=SUMIF(Sheet1!A2:C4,A1,Sheet1!D2:F4)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Another option: a generic construct which will work whether the results to be
returned are text or numbers. SUMIF will fail with text results.

In Sheet2,
Lookup values in A2 down

In B2, copied to D2:
=INDEX(Sheet1!D:D,MATCH($A2,Sheet1!A:A,0))

Then in E2:
=INDEX(B2:D2,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(NOT(ISERROR(B2:D2)), ),0))
will return the required result for the lookup value in A2. Copy B2:E2 down
as needed.
--
Max
Singapore
[...]