caiman

Default i edit a formula (excel) then it displays formula not answer

i edit a formula in excel then the cell no longer displays the answer but
the whole formula, why is this happening and how can i fix it?
Gary''s Student

1. make sure formula does not start with an apostrophy

'=A1+B1 will not compute

2. make sure cell is not formatted as text. Pull-down
Format Cells... Number General
--
Gary''s Student

"caiman" wrote:

i edit a formula in excel then the cell no longer displays the answer but
the whole formula, why is this happening and how can i fix it?

Dave Peterson

Saved from a previous post...

Excel likes to help.

Try this on a test worksheet.
Select A1 and hit ctrl-; (to put the date in the cell)
now select B1 and type: =a1

Notice that excel changed the format of B1 to match the format in A1.

Now format D1 as Text.
put ASDF in D1
put =D1 in E1
You see ASDF.

With E1 selected, hit the F2 key and then enter (to pretend that you're changing
the formula).

Excel has "helped" you by changing that cell's format to text.

I don't know of any way of changing this behavior.

I just select the cell, and reformat it to General (or whatever I wanted). I
hit F2 and then enter (to reenter that formula).

Sometimes this feature is nice, sometimes it ain't.