Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sharing my macros that I have saved in Personal.xls

I would like to share some macros with my co-workers. Presently, I have
several that I have saved in the Personal.xls workbook.
1) What is the best way to share these macros with them?
2) I know that the Personal.xls workbook is saved in the XLSTART folder. Do
I just send them a copy of this workbook as an attachment and have them put
this file in their XLSTART folder?
3) Am I asking for trouble if I attend to share macros at work?
Any info and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
Jugglertwo
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Sharing my macros that I have saved in Personal.xls

Hi Jugglertwo,

Sharing macros with your co-workers can be a great way to increase productivity and efficiency in the workplace. Here are some steps you can take to share your macros:
  1. Export the macros as an add-in file: The best way to share macros with your co-workers is to export them as an add-in file. This will allow your co-workers to easily install the macros on their own computers without having to manually copy and paste them into their XLSTART folder. To do this, go to the Developer tab in Excel and click on "Add-Ins". Then, click on "Excel Add-Ins" and select "Browse". Navigate to the location where you want to save the add-in file and give it a name. Make sure to select the "File Type" as "Excel Add-In (*.xlam)" and click "OK". This will create an add-in file that you can share with your co-workers.
  2. Avoid using Personal.xls: While you could send them a copy of the Personal.xls workbook and have them put it in their XLSTART folder, this is not the recommended method. The Personal.xls workbook is specific to your computer and may contain macros that are not relevant or useful to your co-workers. Additionally, if your co-workers have their own Personal.xls workbook, it could cause conflicts and errors.
  3. Ensure safety and documentation: Sharing macros at work is generally not a problem as long as you are following company policies and guidelines. However, it is important to make sure that the macros you are sharing are safe and do not contain any malicious code. It is also a good idea to document what the macros do and provide instructions on how to use them.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I wouldn't mess around with replacing others' Personal.xls files which may
contain their own macros.

You can stick all your macros into one module in Personal.xls then export that
as a *.bas file.

Send that to them by email and they can import that *.bas file as a module into
their Personal.xls file.

Or Save As Personal.xls as an add-in(*.xla) and send that to them so's they can
load it through ToolsAdd-ins.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:54:50 -0700, Jugglertwo
wrote:

I would like to share some macros with my co-workers. Presently, I have
several that I have saved in the Personal.xls workbook.
1) What is the best way to share these macros with them?
2) I know that the Personal.xls workbook is saved in the XLSTART folder. Do
I just send them a copy of this workbook as an attachment and have them put
this file in their XLSTART folder?
3) Am I asking for trouble if I attend to share macros at work?
Any info and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
Jugglertwo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sending them your personal.xls is very dangerous as they may already have
one that does stuff.

You can export the code via the VBE (Alt+F11) and right click on the modules
and select export and vice versa on their machine. You need to be aware
that some stuff may not work if their machine is not set up similarly to
yours, e.g ODBC, versions, etc.

The safest way is to write code and save it as an add-in. This way they can
load in via ToolsAdd-Ins... and there will be no macro warning, etc. The
code needs to be written to the same rules as all other code though, (as
above)

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Jugglertwo" wrote in message
I would like to share some macros with my co-workers. Presently, I have
several that I have saved in the Personal.xls workbook.
1) What is the best way to share these macros with them?
2) I know that the Personal.xls workbook is saved in the XLSTART folder.
Do
I just send them a copy of this workbook as an attachment and have them
put
this file in their XLSTART folder?
3) Am I asking for trouble if I attend to share macros at work?
Any info and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
Jugglertwo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you go into the VBE (Tools, Macro, Visual Basic Editor), you'll see your
macros listed on the left hand column of the screen. If you right-click on
them, there is an option to export the file. Click on that, select your
destination and click export.

Open the workbook you want to use the macro in and go back to the VBE. Go to
File and select Import File. Then your macros should be shared.

Note that if your macro refers to a specific workbook, it may not work.