Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Format Painter:Can it repeat w/out having to hit icon multi times

Can Formatting Painter be used to format multiple rows withiout having to hit
the Painter Icon multiple times? Thank you! - rms
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Format Painter:Can it repeat w/out having to hit icon multi times

Yes, the Format Painter tool in Microsoft Excel can be used to format multiple rows without having to hit the icon multiple times. Here's how:
  1. Select the cell or range of cells that contain the formatting you want to copy.
  2. Click on the Format Painter icon in the Home tab of the ribbon. Your cursor will change to a paintbrush.
  3. Click and drag your cursor over the cells or rows you want to apply the formatting to. The formatting will be applied to the selected cells or rows.
  4. To apply the same formatting to additional rows, double-click on the Format Painter icon instead of clicking it once. This will lock the Format Painter tool on, allowing you to apply the formatting to multiple rows without having to click the icon each time.

Alternatively, you can also use the keyboard shortcut for Format Painter by selecting the cell or range of cells with the formatting you want to copy, pressing the "Ctrl" key, and then pressing the "C" key. Then, select the cells or rows you want to apply the formatting to, press the "Ctrl" key, and then press the "V" key. This will paste the formatting onto the selected cells or rows.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Drag the cursor down the rows to be formatted before releasing the mouse
button.

tralfaz113 wrote:
Can Formatting Painter be used to format multiple rows withiout having to hit
the Painter Icon multiple times? Thank you! - rms

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Format Painter:Can it repeat w/out having to hit icon multi ti

Sorry I left out a factor. I am formatting 12,000 lines of data wherein the
last 3 lines of each horzontal group has to be formatted the same way. These
lines are not adjacent to one another. I hope this is clearer. Thank you
very much for your earlier very prompt response, Bob!!!

tralfaz113 wrote:
Can Formatting Painter be used to format multiple rows withiout having to hit
the Painter Icon multiple times? Thank you! - rms

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Double click the format painter button instead of clicking once and it will
turn it on for multiple uses. Click it again or hit Esc to turn it off when
you're finished.

"tralfaz113" wrote:

Can Formatting Painter be used to format multiple rows withiout having to hit
the Painter Icon multiple times? Thank you! - rms

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are very welcome - happy to help - thanx for the feedback - and may your
weekend be fantabulous as well... for some reason I'm thinking a little
Guitar Hero would be good now :-)

"tralfaz113" wrote:

Can Formatting Painter be used to format multiple rows withiout having to hit
the Painter Icon multiple times? Thank you! - rms

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jan Jan is offline

I tried that it doesn't wotk even though that's the way it's supposed to
work. I need to repeat the formatting of one word throughout my document. I
select the word I want to repeat double click on the format painter and
select the word to change but then I go to the next word to be changed and I
have to click on the format painter again. I know I double clicked but I
can't get it to stay on. Extrememly frustrating.

"tralfaz113" wrote:

Can Formatting Painter be used to format multiple rows withiout having to hit
the Painter Icon multiple times? Thank you! - rms

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If it is the same word that you want to format differently... check out the
Replace options. That would be even easier. You can use it to replace the
word with the word formatted differently. Click the Options button, if
necessary, to see those choices.
Is it a single word in a cell or a single word within other text in a cell?
Format painter can't be used if it's the second. :-(