Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dgc49

Default format painter wont copy mixed font colors from one cell to next

I have cells in Excel with text in two different colors (ie.
blk_txt/blu_txt). I can't get format painter or copy & paste spacial to copy
this format to another cell. It just copies the text in blk_txt only. Is
there a way around this or is by default the way Excel works.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
C01d

The format painter should be able to copy the text color. However, you
might want to check if the cell text was colored using conditional
formatting. Conditional formats cannot be copied in this manner.

--
C01d
C01d's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34422

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Yes they can, if you have formula is =A23
if you use the format painter to copy that to A3 the formula will change to
=A33 so the conditional formatting will carry over

However you cannot copy partial cell formatting either with the painter or
copy paste special format

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"C01d" wrote in message

The format painter should be able to copy the text color. However, you
might want to check if the cell text was colored using conditional
formatting. Conditional formats cannot be copied in this manner.

--
C01d
C01d's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=548180

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dgc49

Default format painter wont copy mixed font colors from one cell to ne

Here is additional info of what I am finding. If I enter text data "1_2_3_4"
into a cell with the 1 as black, 2 as red, 3 as green, and 4 as blue in color
this is what I get. I can copy the contents of this cell exactly as is to
another cell intact. If I change the font colors of that 2nd cell back to
black, then use Format Painter to copy the format of the 1st cell to the 2nd
cell, every thing is copied over except the font colors. I discovered this
when making an information sheet stated lengths in inches and centimeters and
I used black for the numbers in inches and blue for the nunbers in
centimeters to simplify reading the sheet. I ran into the problem of copying
the format from one cell to another with the colors and had to do this
manually. I suspect that this is a bug in Excel, but if some one can show me
that this can be down, please do.

"C01d" wrote:

The format painter should be able to copy the text color. However, you
might want to check if the cell text was colored using conditional
formatting. Conditional formats cannot be copied in this manner.

--
C01d
C01d's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34422
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=548180

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dgc49

Further testing of this problem with Excel has shown me that the Format
Painter function only copies the font color of the first character of the
text string. So if the first character is black, then the entire copied
string will be black. If the first charater is red, the entire copied string
will be red. This happens regardless of the other colors used in the string.
It appears that the only way that mixed colors in a text string can be copied
over is if the entire string contents are copied are copied. This appears to
be a bug in Excel or something that none of the programmers ever thought of.
As an Autocad user, I use Autocads Format Painter all the time and it works
the way I expect. I would have though that Microsoft would have put in that
same functionality since they use the same name and are supposed to be
compatible with Autocads formats. Hmmmmm......

"dgc49" wrote:

I have cells in Excel with text in two different colors (ie.
blk_txt/blu_txt). I can't get format painter or copy & paste spacial to copy
this format to another cell. It just copies the text in blk_txt only. Is
there a way around this or is by default the way Excel works.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dgc49

I am not using conditional formating so this doesn't apply to me in this
situation. The problem appears to be with the use of mixed colors with in a
text string in the cell. Copying the contents of the cell isn't a problem,
but copying just the format seems to be a problem for mixed font colors.
Single font colors copy just fine as do all other format information. If you
can duplicate my efforts and come up with different results, please let me
know.

dgc49

"C01d" wrote in message

The format painter should be able to copy the text color. However, you
might want to check if the cell text was colored using conditional
formatting. Conditional formats cannot be copied in this manner.

--
C01d
C01d's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=548180

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

No you are correct, the conditional formatting was with regards to the first
person answering you saying that
you cannot copy conditional formatting. There is no way using the format
painter and copy a format where different characters have different
colours, in fact there is no way of copying that period. Same in Word

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

View this thread: