Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
charles banks

Default Help with Broken Links

Links help. I am having some difficulties and have not been able to find
any solutions.

Background Information:
A series of excel files (A) that I have created from a download from
our financial system.
A series of files (B) that refer to these downloaded files to create
YTD and MTD calculations.
The calculations are dependant from a master navigation worksheet (C)
where users select the appropriate time frame.

If I open files (B) individually they work perfectly. The problem
occurs when I attempt to open all the (B) files through an .xlw or
workspace extension containing all of (B). When I attempt to do this I
get an "edit links" prompt from one of the files. This normally this
occurs with some broken links. I check through "File -- Edit --
Links, Update Values" and all the files have an "OK" status.

I have tried "change source" to re-establish the links but this is not
fixing the issues.

Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

--
charles banks
charles banks's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30517

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I don't use workspaces, but...

When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

charles banks wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
charles banks

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the file and ran a couple of
different of the options but there still isnt anything wrong with the
links when opening the files individually.

--
charles banks
charles banks's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30517
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501701

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
charles banks

Like I said thanks for the suggestion.

I tend to use workspaces to open multiple files all at one time. With
them, you can open one file and it will open all the related files. It
comes in handy when applying macros particularily in this instance
where I am using links that run 4 levels deep accross 60+ files.

I really need to get this out of excel and into a SQL envoirnment w/
reporting services. Now if I can just find where I placed all that
spare time I used to have.

--
charles banks
charles banks's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30517
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501701

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary L Brown

What I'm doing often requires that I have a bunch of Excel files open for
vlookups. Every time, I have to open each one. I never use the 'FileSave
Workspace' option because 'workspace' doesn't remember the formatting of the
workbooks and that causes as much of a pain as opening each one individually.
So, yesterday, being the lazy person I am, I got fed up with all that
extra work and wrote my own 'workspace' macro. (see below). The main macro
is OpenWorkspace.
It creates a list of all of your currently open files (not hidden
workbooks or Add-ins) and lists them in the currently active workbook even if
that workbook is new and unsaved.
It then creates a command button (with a built-in macro) so that next time
you open this workbook, you can click on the button and it will automatically
open the other workbooks in the list.
Thought I'd share.

'MACRO BEGINS HERE

'/=======================================/
Public Sub OpenWorkspace()
'Creates 'Workspace' hyperlink listing
' - that is: all currently open visible workbooks
'Reason: the 'workspace' option does not format the files
' as they were originally saved.
'03/15/2006
Dim iWorkbooks As Integer, x As Integer, y As Integer
Dim strWkshtName As String

On Error GoTo Err_Sub

strWkshtName = _
"Workspace - " & Format(Now(), "yyyy-mmm-dd_hhmmam/pm")

'count number of sheets in workbook
iWorkbooks = Application.Workbooks.Count
If iWorkbooks < 1 Then
MsgBox "No Workbooks are currently open...."
Exit Sub
End If

'check that at least one workbook is visible
y = 0
For x = 1 To iWorkbooks
If Windows(Workbooks(x).name).Visible Then
y = 1
Exit For
End If
Next x

If y = 0 Then 'no visible workbooks found
MsgBox "No Workbooks are currently visible...."
Exit Sub
End If

Call CreateWorksheet(strWkshtName)

'add all open/visible workbooks to workspace list
On Error Resume Next
For x = 1 To iWorkbooks
If Windows(Workbooks(x).name).Visible Then
y = y + 1
ActiveCell.Offset(y, 0).value = _
Application.Workbooks(x).FullName
ActiveCell.Offset(y, 1).value = _
Application.Workbooks(x).Path
ActiveCell.Offset(y, 2).value = _
Application.Workbooks(x).name
ActiveCell.Offset(y, 3).value = _
Format(FileLen(Application.Workbooks(x).FullName) / 1024, "#,##0")
ActiveCell.Offset(y, 4).value = _
FileDateTime(Application.Workbooks(x).FullName)
'create hyperlink
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add _
Anchor:=ActiveCell.Offset(y, 0), _
Address:=Application.Workbooks(x).FullName
End If
Next x

Call FormatWksht

Exit_Sub:
Exit Sub

Err_Sub:
GoTo Exit_Sub

End Sub
'/=======================================/
Private Sub CreateWorksheet(strWkshtName)
'create the worksheet that contains the 'workspace' list
'called from OpenWorkspace()
On Error Resume Next

'if worksheet exists, delete it
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Application.Worksheets(strWkshtName).Delete
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

'create worksheet at end of workbook
Worksheets.Add.Move After:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count)
ActiveSheet.name = strWkshtName
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 0).value = "Hyperlink"
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).value = "Path"
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2).value = "Name"
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3).value = "Size/kb"
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 4).value = "Date/Time"

End Sub
'/=======================================/
Private Sub FormatWksht()
'format the worksheet that contains the 'workspace' list
'called from OpenWorkspace()

Columns("B:E").EntireColumn.AutoFit
Range("A2").Select
ActiveWindow.Zoom = 75
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True

Call CreateButton

End Sub
'/=======================================/
Private Sub CreateButton()
'creates button that user can left-click to open all
' workbooks in the workspace list
'called from FormatWksht()
Dim btn As Button
Dim iCodeLine As Integer, iStartLine As Integer
Dim cmWorkSpace As Object 'CodeModule
Dim rng As Range
Dim strCodeName As String
Dim varAnswer As Variant

On Error Resume Next

Set rng = Range("F1")

'format cell
With rng
.FormulaR1C1 = "Click HERE to Load all Workspace workbooks"
.Font.Bold = True
.EntireColumn.AutoFit

With .Borders(xlEdgeLeft)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlMedium
End With
With .Borders(xlEdgeTop)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlMedium
End With
With .Borders(xlEdgeBottom)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlMedium
End With
With .Borders(xlEdgeRight)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlMedium
End With
.Font.ColorIndex = 3
With .Interior
.ColorIndex = 6
.Pattern = xlSolid
End With
End With

'create procedure that button will use in 'OnAction'
Call CreateOpenWorkbooksInWorkspaceModule

'create button
Set btn = ActiveSheet.Buttons.Add(0, 0, 0, 0)
With btn
.Top = rng.Offset(0, 0).Top
.Left = rng.Offset(0, 0).Left
.Width = rng.Offset(0, 0).Width
.Height = rng.Offset(0, 0).Height
.name = "cmdOpenWorkbooks"
.Caption = rng.value
.Characters.Text = "Click HERE to Load all Workspace workbooks"
With .Characters(Start:=1, Length:=10).Font
.FontStyle = "Bold"
.ColorIndex = 5
End With
.ShapeRange.LockAspectRatio = msoTrue
.Placement = xlMove
.PrintObject = True
.Visible = True
'tell button what to do when it is left-clicked
' ie: what macro to run
.OnAction = _
ActiveWorkbook.name & "!" & _
"OpenWorkbooksInWorkspace"
'if workbook needs to be saved, give user option of doing it now
If ActiveWorkbook.Saved = False Then
varAnswer = _
MsgBox("File should be saved...", _
vbCritical + vbOKCancel, "Optional but Recommended...")
If varAnswer = vbOK Then
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show
End With

Exit_Sub:
On Error Resume Next
Set btn = Nothing
Set rng = Nothing
Set cmWorkSpace = Nothing
Exit Sub

End Sub
'/=======================================/
Private Sub CreateOpenWorkbooksInWorkspaceModule()
'create a module that is run by the on-the-fly button
' - created in workbook where workspace list is located
'called from CreateButton()
Dim iCodeLine As Long
Dim objVBComponent As Object, objVBCodeModule As Object
Dim strVBComponent As String, strVBCodeModule As String

On Error GoTo Err_Sub

strVBComponent = "Mod_OpenWrkbksInWkspace"
strVBCodeModule = "OpenWorkbooksInWorkspace"

'create Standard Module = vbext_ct_StdModule = 1
Set objVBComponent = _
Application.ActiveWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents. Add(1)
objVBComponent.name = strVBComponent

'create the procedure in the module
Set objVBCodeModule = _
Application.ActiveWorkbook.VBProject. _
VBComponents(strVBComponent).CodeModule

With objVBCodeModule
iCodeLine = .CountOfLines + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
"Public Sub OpenWorkbooksInWorkspace()"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" Dim x As Integer"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" Dim strCurrentWorkbook As String"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" On Error Resume Next"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" Range(" & Chr(34) & "A2" & Chr(34) & ").Select"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" strCurrentWorkbook = Application.ActiveWorkbook.Name"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" x = 0"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" Do While Len(ActiveCell.Offset(x, 0).Value) < 0"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" ActiveCell.Offset(x, 0).Hyperlinks(1).Follow NewWindow:=True"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" x = x + 1"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" Application.Workbooks(strCurrentWorkbook).Activate "
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
" Loop"
iCodeLine = iCodeLine + 1
.InsertLines iCodeLine, _
"End Sub"
End With

Exit_Sub:
On Error Resume Next
Set objVBCodeModule = Nothing
Set objVBComponent = Nothing
Exit Sub

Err_Sub:
GoTo Exit_Sub

End Sub

HTH,
--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''Yes'' button next to ''Was this
Post Helpfull to you?''.