Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Arturo

Default Chart Property Confusion

I have 12 charts objects, 4 per sheet, three sheets.
I need to assign sequential numbers to each grouping of 4.
When I hold CTRL+Shift then click on the chart and I try to change the chart
name Im running into problems. One grouping is named as follows; Chart 11,
Chart 2, Chart 3, Chart 77. When I change Chart 77 to Chart 4, Chart 11
activates. How do I change these properties to what I want?

Sincerely,
Arturo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

Normally when you enter an exiting name into the name box and press
enter it will take you to that item. Sounds like Chart 4 already exists
or Excel is just confused. Perhaps try renaming Chart 11 temporarily and
see if the problem persists.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Arturo

Hey Andy,
I ended up renaming everything Chrt 1, Chrt 2 etc...
Though there are no duplicate chart names on the sheet Chart 1 ect would
still not take.
Thanks,
Arturo

Arturo wrote:
I have 12 charts objects, 4 per sheet, three sheets.
I need to assign sequential numbers to each grouping of 4.
When I hold CTRL+Shift then click on the chart and I try to change the chart
name Im running into problems. One grouping is named as follows; Chart 11,
Chart 2, Chart 3, Chart 77. When I change Chart 77 to Chart 4, Chart 11
activates. How do I change these properties to what I want?

Sincerely,
Arturo

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Looks like it remembers previous names.
I did a simple test create a chart, which will be called Chart 1.
Rename to Chart 4.
Create another chart, which will be called Chart 2. Try naming this
Chart 1 and the chartobject Chart 4 is selected.

Saving and closing workbook or excel did not clear the name. weird.

Cheers
Andy

Arturo wrote:

I have 12 charts objects, 4 per sheet, three sheets.
I need to assign sequential numbers to each grouping of 4.
When I hold CTRL+Shift then click on the chart and I try to change the chart
name Im running into problems. One grouping is named as follows; Chart 11,
Chart 2, Chart 3, Chart 77. When I change Chart 77 to Chart 4, Chart 11
activates. How do I change these properties to what I want?

Sincerely,
Arturo

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

I've noticed this funny behavior. For this reason, I always use something
other than "Chart X" as custom chart object names. The more descriptive, the
better.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP