ehale

Default Pivot Table in separate workbook

Hello,

I have a workbook that contains pivot tables that has become too big and I
would like to move the pivot tables to another workbook. When I move the
sheets containing the pivot tables to a new workbook, at first everything
works fine, e.g., I can make changes to the data on the original workbook
then switch over to the new workbook with pivot tables and update data, etc.
However, when I save, close, then reopen, I get an error that the new pivot
table is not valid. Is it possible to have pivot tables stored in a separate
workbook? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Debra Dalgleish

You can have the pivot table in a separate workbook. If you cut it from
one workbook, and pasted it into another, open the original workbook
when you open the pivot table workbook, and you won't see the error message.

Or, you can create a pivot table based on an external source, and select
another Excel workbook as the source. Then, it won't need to be open
when you're working on the pivot table.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List