Edward Letendre

Default trying to open an excel file in excel 2003

Okay, I have a bit of a strange situation, which seems to be usual for me.
In any case, here goes:

I am running windows xp home edition with office 2003 standard edition (the
one where access 2003 is missing). Anyway, I have been trying to open an
excel spreadsheet within in excel 2003 (naturally). For some reason, no
matter how I try and open the file, the spreadsheet opens and displays a
blank spreadsheet, without any data, but the cell display at the top of the
window shows the cells and their values. Also a few of the menu options are
grayed out.

I tried using the following solution found here to correct the problem:

tools menu, options sub menu and then the general tab and I have the option
ignore other applications unchecked.

I did not try to run excel /unregserver and then excel /regserver as I have
some applications running in the background at the moment.

The strange thing is that if I take the same excel spreadsheet files and
open them on another user's computer, the files open just fine. I have been
able to open the files on a computer that is running windows 98 and office 97
as well as a computer that is running windows xp professional and office 2003
(also without access 2003).

The problem was corrected before by using a command or running some program,
but for the life of me, I cannot remember what was done to correct the
problem. If someone can suggest what I should be doing to fix this problem,
then I will be very grateful.

Edward Letendre.

Dave Peterson

If you can see the values/formulas in the formulabar, then your workbook is
opening ok.

I bet if you hit File|Print Preview, you'll see stuff there, too.

My guess is that you're looking at the bottom portion of the worksheet. Someone
froze panes and on your pc, that frozen pane makes it so the window that you see
is frozen.

I'd try: Window|unfreeze panes first.

--

Dave Peterson