Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default I type a date (1/05) in a cell, press enter, it reads ####.Why?

I'm entering data inMicrosoft Excel and am fairly new to Excel. I'm entering
dates in cells in a worksheet and typred in a date and pressed enter and all
it will do is read #####. Why does it do this and how do I get the computer
to recognise the actual numbers of the date I entered? erg
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Probably the cell is not wide enough.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"KIWI" wrote in message ...
| I'm entering data inMicrosoft Excel and am fairly new to Excel. I'm entering
| dates in cells in a worksheet and typred in a date and pressed enter and all
| it will do is read #####. Why does it do this and how do I get the computer
| to recognise the actual numbers of the date I entered? erg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 05:37:00 -0800, KIWI
wrote:

I'm entering data inMicrosoft Excel and am fairly new to Excel. I'm entering
dates in cells in a worksheet and typred in a date and pressed enter and all
it will do is read #####. Why does it do this and how do I get the computer
to recognise the actual numbers of the date I entered? erg

The cell is probably too narrow. The solutions include:

1. Making the cell wider. You can do that by dragging the right column
edge at the top of the column to the right, making the whole column
wider.

2. Changing the font size in that cell so that more characters can fit
into the cell. Select the call and change the number in the point size
field.

3. Changing the format of the data so that it is more compact. If the
date is being displayed as "February 3, 2007", change it to "2/03/07"
or just "2/03". Right click on the cell and select Format Cells. Then
select the appropriate Date formatting.

--
Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000