Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rhondarp

Default Hide a specific number in a cell

Hi, I need to sort a list by priority. However, I will not be using a
"Priority" column.

I will be sorting this list first by "Contributor" and then by "Category".
It is within the "Category" that I need to prioritize without making visible
changes to the category value. Therefore, in order to display the rows as
needed, I need to insert a '1' in front of the category name for the top
priority, '2' for the second priority and so forth (e.g., 1Support, 2Support,
3Firewall, etc. Therefore, regardless if the "Category" values are the same
or different, they will always sort in order of the "Priority" number that I
put there.

My problem is that I don't want the number to display or print. Just the
"Category" names.

Can someone help or provide a better solution? Thank you so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

How about just putting that code into another cell in another column?

You could even hide the column when you wanted to.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rhondarp

The problem is that in order for that to work, whoever was working with the
spreadsheet would have to remember to sort by a hidden column. I need to
keep the sort simple as possible.

Rhondarp wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dominic LeVasseur

You could create a custom list.

Tools:Options:Custom Lists

Then when you sort choose:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Elkar

I think Dave's solution is probably the least confusing, but here's another
option:

If your Categories are simply text entries (not formula results) you could
change the text color of the number to match the background. For example,
1Support, you'd highlight just the 1 and change text color to white. That
way, the number is still present for sorting, and will be visible in the
Formula Bar, but will not show up on the spreadsheet (assuming white
background also).

HTH,
Elkar

Rhondarp wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rhondarp

That worked!! The cells are acutally colored, so I changed the text color to
match the background. Now, only the text shows and they sort properly.

Granted, it is not as robust as a "hide character" function, but it will get
the job done! Thank you very much!

Rhondarp wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rhondarp

I didn't use this due to lack of time, but I am going to investigate it
further. Sounds like a lot of possibilities. Lists are awesome if you know
what all they can do.

Have a great day. Thank you!