Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do you add 18 years to a date in Excel?

I'm trying to calculate the date of a person's 18th birthday using a formula
in Excel. For example, if the birthdate is January 1, 2000 the age of
majority is January 1, 2018. What formula can I enter to have Excel
calculate the date for me?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This may be the long way, however, it worked for me...try this formula:

=C3+(18*365+4)

C3 would be the cell where your birthdate is. I multiplied 18 years times
365 days and had to add 4 because leap year occurs 4 times in an 18 year
period.

"Janelle Lister" wrote:

I'm trying to calculate the date of a person's 18th birthday using a formula
in Excel. For example, if the birthdate is January 1, 2000 the age of
majority is January 1, 2018. What formula can I enter to have Excel
calculate the date for me?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to avoid determining how many leap years are in the period you
could use:

=C3+(18*365+(round(18/4,0))

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Janelle Lister" wrote:

I'm trying to calculate the date of a person's 18th birthday using a formula
in Excel. For example, if the birthdate is January 1, 2000 the age of
majority is January 1, 2018. What formula can I enter to have Excel
calculate the date for me?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thats an interseting one, if you start your calculation of 18 years in the
future from the year 2000, and if a leap year occurs in the year 2001, then
you would have an extra day for the years; 2001,2005,2009,2013,2017 so you
would have to add 5 extra days. But if the leap year occured in the year 2003
then you would add an extra day for the years; 2003,2007,2011,2015 so you
would only add 4 days. how could you determine where the leap year is?

I think the only way is to use Kevin B's method. As this uses the excel date
system which takes leap years into account.