Bagia

Default Formulas dealing with text data

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find formulas that deal with text data, for
example countif? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Duke Carey

There are hundreds of examples in the Excel newsgroups

Here's a link to facilitate searching the Excel NGs

http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr..._ugroup=*excel

"Bagia" wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find formulas that deal with text data, for
example countif? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bagia

Duke...thanks for your suggestion. I tried to enter "formulas dealing with
text data" and only one came up...mine and yours. Is there a way to search
so that only formulas that deal with text data will appear?

"Bagia" wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find formulas that deal with text data, for
example countif? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bagia

Thanks Duke. I don't use text data, but my students do. They want to learn
more about formulas that deal with text and I have no clue except for
countif. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help.

"Bagia" wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find formulas that deal with text data, for
example countif? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Duke Carey

From Excel's help file, under Text and Data Functions:

Text and Data functions
ASC Changes full-width (double-byte) English letters or katakana within a
character string to half-width (single-byte) characters

BAHTTEXT Converts a number to text, using the ß (baht) currency format

CHAR Returns the character specified by the code number

CLEAN Removes all nonprintable characters from text

CODE Returns a numeric code for the first character in a text string

CONCATENATE Joins several text items into one text item

DOLLAR Converts a number to text, using the $ (dollar) currency format

EXACT Checks to see if two text values are identical

FIND Finds one text value within another (case-sensitive)

FIXED Formats a number as text with a fixed number of decimals

JIS Changes half-width (single-byte) English letters or katakana within a
character string to full-width (double-byte) characters

LEFT Returns the leftmost characters from a text value

LEN Returns the number of characters in a text string

LOWER Converts text to lowercase

MID Returns a specific number of characters from a text string starting at
the position you specify

PHONETIC Extracts the phonetic (furigana) characters from a text string

PROPER Capitalizes the first letter in each word of a text value

REPLACE Replaces characters within text

REPT Repeats text a given number of times

RIGHT Returns the rightmost characters from a text value

SEARCH Finds one text value within another (not case-sensitive)

SUBSTITUTE Substitutes new text for old text in a text string

T Converts its arguments to text

TEXT Formats a number and converts it to text

TRIM Removes spaces from text

UPPER Converts text to uppercase

VALUE Converts a text argument to a number