Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Line Chart - Problems with labeling X-Axis

I am trying to create a line chart but am having trouble with labeling the
X-Axis. The graph is charting temperature on the y-Axis and the date and
time of the testing is running along the X-Axis. There are at least 1096
time entries and I would like the X-axis labels to only display the date
which is only two days and not the time (reason for all the entries). The
X-Axis is currently displaying the time at a 90 degree angle and only one
date at an 180 degree angle, becuase of the numerous time entries the second
date does not show up along the X-Axis. Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Use an XY chart type, format the scale of the X axis accordingly based
on the dates involved. In Excel 2003 and earlier, you can enter dates in
the min and max scale boxes, but in 2007 you'll have to convert to a
regular number: type the date in a cell, and change the number format to
General. Pick an axis major unit of an integral number of days.

Use a number format for the axis labels that includes only the date.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
774-275-0064
http://peltiertech.com/

On 4/14/2010 11:17 AM, Andrea wrote:
I am trying to create a line chart but am having trouble with labeling the
X-Axis. The graph is charting temperature on the y-Axis and the date and
time of the testing is running along the X-Axis. There are at least 1096
time entries and I would like the X-axis labels to only display the date
which is only two days and not the time (reason for all the entries). The
X-Axis is currently displaying the time at a 90 degree angle and only one
date at an 180 degree angle, becuase of the numerous time entries the second
date does not show up along the X-Axis. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you Jon for the reply... I still can not get the axis labels to work
correctly even when I change the chart type to XY scattered.

Please help.. Thanks in advance.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Make sure the time-date data is entered in numerical date and time
format, and Excel recognizes the data as numerical.

Aside from that I don't know, but if you describe how you want it to
work and how it does work, the solution may be more obvious.

- Jon
-------