Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Labeling Collapsed Columns

I'm using the grouping function in Excel to collapse several sets of adjacent
"detail" columns. I would like to place a label next to the "+" sign to
indicate what kind of details will show up if the column is expanded. Could
some one advise how I might do this. I tried the hyperlink approach but it
didn't "unhide" the cells which I had hidden.

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Labeling Collapsed Columns

To label collapsed columns in Excel, follow these steps:
  1. Select the cell next to the "+" sign of the collapsed column where you want to add the label.
  2. Right-click on the cell and select "Insert Comment" from the drop-down menu.
  3. Type in your label text in the comment box that appears.
  4. Click outside the comment box to close it.
  5. Move the comment box to the desired location by clicking and dragging the border of the box.
  6. Resize the comment box by clicking and dragging the corners of the box.

Now, when someone hovers over the cell with the comment, they will see the label text. This is a great way to provide additional information about the collapsed columns without cluttering up the worksheet.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With this feature, you *must* have a summary (total) column separating each
group, which would remain displayed under the outline symbols (+, -).

You can key in "header" information in the first row of this summary column,
and then "Freeze Panes" on that first row to keep those labels always
visible, therefore labeling the group *UNDER* the outline symbols.

By default, this summary column is to the right of the grouped columns.

This can be changed, to place the summary column to the left of the group
by:

<Data <Group & Outline <Settings
And choose the location in that window.
--