Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Neo Neo is offline

Default How do I convert US style dates to European style?

Is it possible to import data containing American style dates, eg. 10/15/06,
and convert them to European style dates eg. 15/10/06??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If 10/15/06 is in a cell, then

Format Cell... Custom and enter
d/m/yy

to see 15/10/06. These are different displays of 39,005
--
Gary's Student

"Neo" wrote:

Is it possible to import data containing American style dates, eg. 10/15/06,
and convert them to European style dates eg. 15/10/06??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Easiest is to temporarily set Window's date format to American. After importing you can change it back and then the dates will be
"converted" automatically.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Neo" wrote in message ...
| Is it possible to import data containing American style dates, eg. 10/15/06,
| and convert them to European style dates eg. 15/10/06??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the data is in a text file, I'd make sure the name of the file had an
extension of .txt.

Then just File|Open that Text file.

The data import wizard will appear and you'll be able to specify that this field
is a date in mdy order.
Then after the import, just change the number format to dd/mm/yyyy.

Neo wrote:

Is it possible to import data containing American style dates, eg. 10/15/06,
and convert them to European style dates eg. 15/10/06??

--

Dave Peterson