Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Calling DLL functions in Excel VBA

I made a dll and I used it in VBA
Like this:
Declare Function currentMilli Lib "exceltest.dll" () As Long

It's working on my computer in any folders.
But when I tried it on other's computer it worked only in the "My
documents" folder.
I expected that it would work if the dll file and the excel file are
in the same folder.
What on earth is going on? How can I make it available on other's
computer in any folders?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Windows will search for a dll in a number of places. IIRC:
- the %System% dir
- in the folders listed by the PATH enviroment Debug.Print Environ("PATH")
- in the folder containing the calling component

So put your dll in one of the above location for windows to be able to
locate it.

You can also fully qualify the path the dll if you know/control where it is
installed:
Declare Function currentMilli Lib "C:\exceltest.dll" () As Long

As a side note, if you will be passing string to/from the dll, you should be
aware of the way that Excel/VBA differ in how strings are handled.
If called from the worksheet, you should use a W (Wide) version of the
function call as Excel uses Unicode.
Called from VBA, you can use an A (ANSI) version and let VBA handle string
conversion, which may not advisable as you seem to be from Korea and may not
be using only Ansi text and/or single byte char sets.
Alternative, look into the use of a W version and handling the strings
yourself with Byte arrays/StrConv.

This may help, in the section "ANSI vs. Unicode and the Alias Clause"
http://www.awprofessional.com/articl...&seqNum=3&rl=1

NickHK

"sunny" wrote in message
ups.com...
I made a dll and I used it in VBA
Like this:
Declare Function currentMilli Lib "exceltest.dll" () As Long

It's working on my computer in any folders.
But when I tried it on other's computer it worked only in the "My
documents" folder.
I expected that it would work if the dll file and the excel file are
in the same folder.
What on earth is going on? How can I make it available on other's
computer in any folders?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tested with my dll file and excel file in the same folder. (I think
this is the third case)
And the result was just as I said - It worked only in the "My
document" on others' computer.
I don't think it is a good idea to put my dll into System folder and
it is not possible to tell everybody to set their PATH variable
(People are not familiar with setting environment variables)
Maybe I can specify an absolute path of the dll file and let people
copy the file to that path.
If anyone have better ways, just tell me.
Thanks, anyway.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

<Surmise
I would imagine that the folder calling would be that containing Excel, or
possibly the VB/VBA runtime. The location of your XL file would not matter.
</Surmise

You could avoid the whole path problem by making an ActiveX dll instead and
using COM. Then the location is irrelevant.

NickHK

"sunny" wrote in message
oups.com...
I tested with my dll file and excel file in the same folder. (I think
this is the third case)
And the result was just as I said - It worked only in the "My
document" on others' computer.
I don't think it is a good idea to put my dll into System folder and
it is not possible to tell everybody to set their PATH variable
(People are not familiar with setting environment variables)
Maybe I can specify an absolute path of the dll file and let people
copy the file to that path.
If anyone have better ways, just tell me.
Thanks, anyway.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I expected that it would work if the dll file and the excel file are
in the same folder.

Not sure but try this

sCurDir = CurDir
ChDir ThisWorkbook.Path
nResult = currentMilli
ChDir sCurDir

Regards,
Peter T

"sunny" wrote in message
ups.com...
I made a dll and I used it in VBA
Like this:
Declare Function currentMilli Lib "exceltest.dll" () As Long

It's working on my computer in any folders.
But when I tried it on other's computer it worked only in the "My
documents" folder.
I expected that it would work if the dll file and the excel file are
in the same folder.
What on earth is going on? How can I make it available on other's
computer in any folders?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is the DLL registered on the target machine?

--
Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

"NickHK" wrote in message
<Surmise
I would imagine that the folder calling would be that containing Excel, or
possibly the VB/VBA runtime. The location of your XL file would not
matter.
</Surmise

You could avoid the whole path problem by making an ActiveX dll instead
and
using COM. Then the location is irrelevant.

NickHK

oups.com...