oberon.black

Default Letters = Numbers

I am creating a spreadsheet that will contain cells with the following:

A, B, C, D, E
I need these letters to equal

5, 4, 3, 2, 1
So that when I create charts I can plot using the letters (gradescale).

so I could get data like a 3000 fence made of grade "A" materials will
last say 5 years.

and that no matter what I plot the letters A,B,C,D,E will always equal
5,4,3,2,1.

How can this be done? Please help.

Thanks

--
oberon.black
oberon.black's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26732

Jon Peltier

Is it not allowed to have one column for letter rating and another (hidden) for
numerical equivalent? Excel just isn't going to plot the text as anything other than
0, but you can write simple lookup formulas to convert the letters to numbers in
another column, and those numbers will plot like numbers. You can put a fake axis
onto the chart, so it looks like the letters are aligned along the value axis:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP