Phineus

Default golf handicap

I'm trying to set up an excel spreadsheet to calculate my handicap. The
tricky part, for me anyway, is I need to average the 10 best scores out of
the last 20 played. Any idea? Thanks.
Dave O

This is a little chunky, but here goes. Use the LARGE() function,
which allows you to pick out the Nth largest number in an array. So if
your 20 scores are in A1:A20, it would look like this:
=AVERAGE(LARGE(A1:A20,1)+LARGE(A1:A20,2)+LARGE(A1: A20,3)+
....LARGE(A1:A20,10))

Dave O

Mistake! The AVERAGE function doesn't work in that context. Divide by
10 instead.

Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 18:27:02 -0700, "Phineus"
wrote:

I'm trying to set up an excel spreadsheet to calculate my handicap. The
tricky part, for me anyway, is I need to average the 10 best scores out of
the last 20 played. Any idea? Thanks.

There are several ways.

Assume your scores are in A2:An.

In A21, enter the formula:

=IF(A21="","",AVERAGE(SMALL(A2:A21,ROW(INDIRECT("1 :10")))))

This is an array formula so must be entered by holding down <ctrl<shift as
you hit <enter.

Then copy/drag the formula down as far as necessary.

--ron
Biff

Hi!

How is the data layed out? Down a column? Across a row? Are there any blank
cells in the range? Any zeros? What if there aren't 20 scores?

Biff