Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculating age of death

Hi
I work in a hospital and have to calculate what exact age someone is when
they die. I have birth date and date of death. How can I calculate in total
the age on death. Example, 45 years, 4 months and 5 days

Many thanks

--
Kind regards

Ann Shaw
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe

=DATEDIF(A1,A2,"y")&" y "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"ym")&" m "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"md")&" d"

Where a1= DOB
a2 = DOD

Mike H

"Annie" wrote:

Hi
I work in a hospital and have to calculate what exact age someone is when
they die. I have birth date and date of death. How can I calculate in total
the age on death. Example, 45 years, 4 months and 5 days

Many thanks

--
Kind regards

Ann Shaw

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 06:30:02 -0800, Mike H
wrote:

Maybe

=DATEDIF(A1,A2,"y")&" y "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"ym")&" m "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"md")&" d"

Where a1= DOB
a2 = DOD

Mike H

Since this is in a hospital, and the result probably going on some kind of
legal document, I think you need to have the legal definition of "age" for this
purpose.

Some odd results arise with that formula when it is used for this kind of
determination:

DOB: 31 Jan 1943
DOD: 01 Mar 2008

Your Formula: 65 y 1 m -1 d

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe

=DATEDIF(A1,A2,"y")&" y "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"ym")&" m "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"md")&"
d"

Where a1= DOB
a2 = DOD

Since this is in a hospital, and the result probably going on some kind of
legal document, I think you need to have the legal definition of "age" for
this
purpose.

Some odd results arise with that formula when it is used for this kind of
determination:

DOB: 31 Jan 1943
DOD: 01 Mar 2008

Your Formula: 65 y 1 m -1 d

I've always thought measuring a time span using years, months and days is
somewhat useless as the months part is not a very definitive increment. The
number of days spanned by some number of months differs depending on the
months being spanned. Hell, even years can be somewhat problematic give the
occurrence of leap years within time spans; but, when used by itself as a
"rough" indicator of time span, this if fine; however, the accuracy implied
by specifying a time span in years, months and days has always bothered me
(way more so than simply specifying years and days, even though I recognize
the inaccuracy introduced by the leap years here).

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

<way more so than simply specifying years and days,

Indeed. Financial (and actuarial, my area of interest) systems often use this. But because product specifications often *do* refer
to months, the 360-day system is somewhat popular in those groups. Not that it's perfect!
It assumes a 360-day year, consisting of 12 30-day months.
As you can imagine, the remaining 5 or 6 days are subject to lots of different interpretations, but AFAIK they boil down to 2
systems; NASD or European (see HELP for DAYS360).

If only customers would specify what "number of months difference" means (to them).....

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in message ...
| Maybe
|
| =DATEDIF(A1,A2,"y")&" y "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"ym")&" m "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"md")&"
| d"
|
| Where a1= DOB
| a2 = DOD
|
| Since this is in a hospital, and the result probably going on some kind of
| legal document, I think you need to have the legal definition of "age" for
| this
| purpose.
|
| Some odd results arise with that formula when it is used for this kind of
| determination:
|
| DOB: 31 Jan 1943
| DOD: 01 Mar 2008
|
| Your Formula: 65 y 1 m -1 d
|
| I've always thought measuring a time span using years, months and days is
| somewhat useless as the months part is not a very definitive increment. The
| number of days spanned by some number of months differs depending on the
| months being spanned. Hell, even years can be somewhat problematic give the
| occurrence of leap years within time spans; but, when used by itself as a
| "rough" indicator of time span, this if fine; however, the accuracy implied
| by specifying a time span in years, months and days has always bothered me
| (way more so than simply specifying years and days, even though I recognize
| the inaccuracy introduced by the leap years here).
|
| Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:02:14 -0500, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:

[...]

In general I agree with you, but there are certain legal ramifications in
certain areas, and, if clarified, can allow one to express a time span even
with the inclusion of "months".

For example, some kinds of aviation certifications are defined in terms of
"calendar months". The meaning is clear (if you know the definition), but not
something that can be computed (easily) using DATEDIF.
--ron
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Calculating age of death

Hi Ann,

Calculating the age at death is actually quite simple in Excel. You can use the DATEDIF function to calculate the difference between the birth date and the date of death in years, months, and days.

Here's how you can do it:
  1. In Excel, create a new column next to the birth date and label it "Age at Death".
  2. In the first cell of the "Age at Death" column, enter the following formula:
    Formula:
    =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"y")&" years, "&DATEDIF(A2,B2,"ym")&" months, "&DATEDIF(A2,B2,"md")&" days"
    (Note: A2 is the cell containing the birth date, and B2 is the cell containing the date of death. Adjust the cell references as necessary for your data.)
  3. Press Enter to calculate the age at death for the first person.
  4. Copy the formula down to the rest of the cells in the "Age at Death" column.

The formula uses the DATEDIF function to calculate the difference between the birth date and the date of death in years, months, and days. The "&" symbol is used to concatenate the results of the three DATEDIF functions into a single text string.
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard