Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lossofdog

Default Real Time Charting

I have 3 individual cells that automatically update every second from an
outside program: 1)Time; 2) Implied Price; 3) Actual Price. I track
the changes of the Implied Price against the Actual Price along Time
all throughout the day (2 line graphs plotted on 1 chart). During the
day I copy and paste the 3 cells into a separate worksheet so they're
stationary and in columns -- from that I create a graph. Is there a
possible way/formula to have a predetermined range of cells auto
populated every minute, predertmined range of individual cells set to
populate at a specific time, or a graph that updates every minute
moving along an x-axis of Time?

--
lossofdog
lossofdog's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34987

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
keepITcool

base your graph's series on defined names.

use "dynamic names"
e.g. define a formula in the name definition so it picks up
specific entries from a list.
see http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html for examples.

--
keepITcool

lossofdog wrote in
<news:<lossofdog.28p5ir_1149120607.514@excelforu m-nospam.com

I have 3 individual cells that automatically update every second from
an outside program: 1)Time; 2) Implied Price; 3) Actual Price. I
track the changes of the Implied Price against the Actual Price along
Time all throughout the day (2 line graphs plotted on 1 chart).
During the day I copy and paste the 3 cells into a separate worksheet
so they're stationary and in columns -- from that I create a graph.
Is there a possible way/formula to have a predetermined range of
cells auto populated every minute, predertmined range of individual
cells set to populate at a specific time, or a graph that updates
every minute moving along an x-axis of Time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Thomas Lutz

One way to do things is to use the "Application.OnTime" method in
Excel to force a VBA subroutine to run at a specific time and then put
code in that VBA subroutine that retrieves the data from the one
worksheet and drop it into the other.

Here is a sample:

Sub Auto_Open()
' this subroutine runs automatically when you open your workbook
' run the DoSomething routine 10 seconds from now
Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:00:10"), "DoSomething"
End Sub

Sub DoSomething
' run this routine again in 10 seconds
Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:00:10"), "DoSomething"
' your code goes here to copy the data from and update the chart

End Sub