Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
rrr rrr is offline

Default Cannot combine stock charts with other chart types in Excel 2007

I just noticed that Excel 2007 60-day trial version totally corrupted my
Excel 2003 chart that combines a stock chart with line charts and X-Y charts.
Then when I try to create such combined chart from scratch, I get a message
saying "Some charts cannot be combined with other charts"!

My department does a lot of statistical analysis, and we've been overlaying
other chart types on top of stock charts since Excel 2000. Is there a way to
do this in Excel 2007 or will MS add this feature as a service pack?

For an example of the combined chart, see this website:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StockChartPlus.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I haven't tried this extensive type of chart yet, but I do know already that
XY charts don't use line chart category axes the same way in 2007 as in
prior versions. Maybe I should try it out and see how badly it goes. I'm
trying to stay away from 2007 if I want to make any complicated charts come
out right.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"rrr" wrote in message
I just noticed that Excel 2007 60-day trial version totally corrupted my
Excel 2003 chart that combines a stock chart with line charts and X-Y
charts.
Then when I try to create such combined chart from scratch, I get a
message
saying "Some charts cannot be combined with other charts"!

My department does a lot of statistical analysis, and we've been
overlaying
other chart types on top of stock charts since Excel 2000. Is there a way
do this in Excel 2007 or will MS add this feature as a service pack?

For an example of the combined chart, see this website:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StockChartPlus.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
rrr rrr is offline

Hi Jon,

A response from the man himself! Thanks.

Please keep me posted when you try to combine any charts with stock charts.
I've been overlaying X-Y chart to scatter raw data, and then line chart, to
show distribution median on top of the stock charts.

Before Excel 2000, I had been (painfully) creating stock charts by drawing
individual boxes and lines as X-Y chart. Another way would be to overlay a
transparent X-Y/Line chart object on top of stock chart object. I hope I
won't have to go either way in Excel 2007 as it will be a programming and
formatting nightmare.

By the way, my ANOVA macro that used to take 3 seconds in Excel 2003 now
takes 15s in Excel 2007, and it seems everyone else in the newsgroup are
seeing similar VB performance hits. I have a Core Duo machine with 2GB of
RAM. Its clunky user interface also reminds me of OpenOffice. It seems what
MS has done is to mutilate one of its best written software. What they should
have done probably is to extend the spreadsheet size but leave everything
else the same as 2003.

Thanks,
-John