Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUM ONLY CELLS INA RANGE THAT ARE NUMBERS

Given the next example:

COLUMN A
ROW1 27.35
ROW2 112.01
ROW3 3.75
ROW4 #N/A
ROW5 4.55
ROW6 #N/A
ROW7

I want to enter a formula on cell A7 that will find all
of the cells that ARE NUMBERS, and then return the SUM
of those cells.

I asked this before, but making comparisons vs. zero or
vs. very large negative numbers does not work.

Thank you
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: SUM ONLY CELLS INA RANGE THAT ARE NUMBERS

To sum only cells in a range that are numbers, use the SUMIF function in Excel:
  1. Select the cell where you want to display the sum of the numbers, for example, A7.
  2. Type the formula
    Code:
    =SUMIF(A1:A6,"<#N/A",A1:A6)
    in the formula bar.
  3. Press Enter.

This formula will sum all the cells in the range A1:A6 that are not equal to "#N/A". The result will be displayed in cell A7.

If you have other non-numeric values in the range, you can modify the formula to exclude them as well. For example, if you have blank cells or cells with text in the range, you can use the following formula:

Code:
=SUMIF(A1:A6,"<#N/A",A1:A6)-SUMIF(A1:A6,"=",A1:A6)
This formula subtracts the sum of the blank cells and cells with text from the total sum of the range.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(A1:A6),A1:A6,0))

this is an array formula so insert it using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

another way:

=SUM(IF(ISERROR(A1:A6),0,A1:A6))

this is an array formula so insert it using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(A1:A10),A1:A10))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.
Excel will automatically enclose the formula in braces (curly brackets), do
not try to do this manually.
When editing the formula, it must again be array-entered.

--
HTH

Bob

"R. Arizpe" wrote in message
Given the next example:

COLUMN A
ROW1 27.35
ROW2 112.01
ROW3 3.75
ROW4 #N/A
ROW5 4.55
ROW6 #N/A
ROW7

I want to enter a formula on cell A7 that will find all
of the cells that ARE NUMBERS, and then return the SUM
of those cells.

I asked this before, but making comparisons vs. zero or
vs. very large negative numbers does not work.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One mo

=SUMIF(A:A,"<10E37")

10E37 is a huge number in scientific notation.

R. Arizpe wrote:

Given the next example:

COLUMN A
ROW1 27.35
ROW2 112.01
ROW3 3.75
ROW4 #N/A
ROW5 4.55
ROW6 #N/A
ROW7

I want to enter a formula on cell A7 that will find all
of the cells that ARE NUMBERS, and then return the SUM
of those cells.

I asked this before, but making comparisons vs. zero or
vs. very large negative numbers does not work.

Thank you

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Seems like both formulas work, thank you!!

"Jarek Kujawa" wrote:

another way:

=SUM(IF(ISERROR(A1:A6),0,A1:A6))

this is an array formula so insert it using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER