Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Line Chart

I'm trying to print a Line Chart with data from a worksheet, but for some
reason the data that I am using this time will not cooperate.
I want a Range on the left side of the page and the Date at the bottom.
The problem:
When I give the range with the Wizzard the points aren't not given as points
in the table but are copied verbatum from the worksheet and placed upabove or
to the right of the Chart and the Range is given as 0.0 - 1.0.
I have had cases where the Line Chart is completly blank.
I suspect that the data worksheet may have something to do with it because I
have been able to get several worksheets to print as a Line Chart in the past
without too much difficulty.
Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Make sure you don't have blank spaces in your data range. Also make sure
that any numerical data is recognized by Excel as numeric (and not stored as
text).

You may have to explicitly define the ranges used in the chart. From the
Chart menu, select Source Data, and click on the Series tab. Make sure you
have as many series as you expect; delete any extras. Select a series, then
use the Y Values and X Category Labels input boxes to select the appropriate
ranges.

You may want to try this as an XY chart instead of a Line chart. The two may
look similar, and you can make either connect the points with a line, but
they treat their X variable differently.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Warp4Dennis" wrote in message
I'm trying to print a Line Chart with data from a worksheet, but for some
reason the data that I am using this time will not cooperate.
I want a Range on the left side of the page and the Date at the bottom.
The problem:
When I give the range with the Wizzard the points aren't not given as
points
in the table but are copied verbatum from the worksheet and placed upabove
or
to the right of the Chart and the Range is given as 0.0 - 1.0.
I have had cases where the Line Chart is completly blank.
I suspect that the data worksheet may have something to do with it because
have been able to get several worksheets to print as a Line Chart in the
past
without too much difficulty.
Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Make sure you don't have blank spaces in your data range. Also make sure
that any numerical data is recognized by Excel as numeric (and not stored as
text).

You may have to explicitly define the ranges used in the chart. From the
Chart menu, select Source Data, and click on the Series tab. Make sure you
have as many series as you expect; delete any extras. Select a series, then

Using the Chart Wizard form "Insert":
I don't seem to have any controll over the "series". For some reason the
Chart Wizard uses every value from the Spread Sheet as a series entry from
either Column one or Colum two so I have as a result 255 series.

use the Y Values and X Category Labels input boxes to select the appropriate
ranges.

Labels are the least of my worys, I know how to change them. My questions
are; Why is the wrong scale used? Does the wrong scale prevent the "Data"
from being ploted? Does it matter when the scale is changed?

[...]

Dear Sir:
I seem to be aimming at a moving target when I select the Chart Wizard from
"Insert"!
The Excel spread sheet has three colums. Only
two of the three are of interest.
Colum one, which are 255 dates starting with the last day of the year and
decending to the first day of the year, exactly the opposite of how people
read charts and how I want them.
Colum two, which are 255 pieces of data in a range of numbers from 15.00 to
45.00.
For argument's sake let's say that I press F11.
The results are as follows;
At the top where the "Name" should be is the last entry in the spread sheet
with the Date at the beginning separated from the Data with a space.
In the Right margin appears the same as the top or "Name".
The bottom is divided into exactly two parts with the name of Colum one
(Date) on the left side and the name of Colum two (Close) on the right.
I chose F11 because it seams to be the only repeatable method of using the
Cart Wizard. Using a Line chart or the XY chart makes no difference the
results are the same.
Selecting the Chart Wizard from "Insert" produces unpridictable results.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Where is your data coming from? If you've imported it from somewhere, I
suspect that it came in as text and Excel does not interpret it as
numerical. This is the only way I can get anything similar to your bad
results.

In any of your charts, go to the Chart menu, select Source Data, and click
on the Series tab. How many series are listed? What are the indicated ranges
for Name, Values, and Category Axis Labels? If the Name includes more than a
single cell, or if there are more than one series, or if the Values and
Labels ranges are awry, it provides further backup to my hypothesis, that
your data are all categorical and not numerical.

Convert text to number using this procedu

Copy a blank cell
Select the cells to convert
Select Paste Special from Edit menu
Choose Operation - Add
Click OK

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Where is your data coming from? If you've imported it from somewhere, I
suspect that it came in as text and Excel does not interpret it as
numerical. This is the only way I can get anything similar to your bad
results.

The data is coming from the Internet and is sent to me as an Excel file.
But the problem is I can't confirm which file type (ie .cvs, .xla or .xls)
because Windows refuses to show the suffix even tho I told it to do so.

In any of your charts, go to the Chart menu, select Source Data, and click
on the Series tab. How many series are listed? What are the indicated ranges
for Name, Values, and Category Axis Labels? If the Name includes more than a
single cell, or if there are more than one series, or if the Values and
Labels ranges are awry, it provides further backup to my hypothesis, that
your data are all categorical and not numerical.

Convert text to number using this procedu

Copy a blank cell
Select the cells to convert
Select Paste Special from Edit menu
Choose Operation - Add
Click OK

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com

Jon, since the spreadsheet (datasheet) is 99 and 44/100% numerical, is there
a way to mark the file as being "numerical"? Is it possible to save the
datasheet with a new suffix? If so, which one?
_______

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Warp4Dennis" wrote in message

Where is your data coming from? If you've imported it from somewhere, I
suspect that it came in as text and Excel does not interpret it as
numerical. This is the only way I can get anything similar to your bad
results.

The data is coming from the Internet and is sent to me as an Excel file.
But the problem is I can't confirm which file type (ie .cvs, .xla or .xls)
because Windows refuses to show the suffix even tho I told it to do so.

Does the file even have a suffix? Does Windows do this for all of your
files? To undo it (hope I'm not repeating what you've already done) in
Windows Explorer's Tools menu, choose Folder Options, click on the View tab,
and uncheck the Advanced Setting box for Hide Extensions For Known File
Types.

When you do a Save As in Excel, what file type is offered? Excel should
start with the same type as the original file, so opening a CSV file would
make Excel offer to save it as another CSV file.

Jon, since the spreadsheet (datasheet) is 99 and 44/100% numerical, is
there
a way to mark the file as being "numerical"? Is it possible to save the
datasheet with a new suffix? If so, which one?

Save as a regular Excel workbook. It should by default have an extension of
..xls.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

"Warp4Dennis" wrote in message

Where is your data coming from? If you've imported it from somewhere, I
suspect that it came in as text and Excel does not interpret it as
numerical. This is the only way I can get anything similar to your bad
results.

The data is coming from the Internet and is sent to me as an Excel file.
But the problem is I can't confirm which file type (ie .cvs, .xla or .xls)
because Windows refuses to show the suffix even tho I told it to do so.

Does the file even have a suffix? Does Windows do this for all of your
files? To undo it (hope I'm not repeating what you've already done) in
Windows Explorer's Tools menu, choose Folder Options, click on the View tab,
and uncheck the Advanced Setting box for Hide Extensions For Known File
Types.

Yes, the file has the .xls suffix.
All the files that I have used up to this time had no suffix would you
believe, and they were CSV files.
My customer has changed Companies and they are delivering their data as .xls
files. Looking at a .xls file there seems to be an awful lot of useless
info in the file that is not needed to do a Line Chart.
What's the best way to get the data I need for the Line Chart from the .xls
file?

When you do a Save As in Excel, what file type is offered? Excel should
start with the same type as the original file, so opening a CSV file would
make Excel offer to save it as another CSV file.

Jon, since the spreadsheet (datasheet) is 99 and 44/100% numerical, is
there
a way to mark the file as being "numerical"? Is it possible to save the
datasheet with a new suffix? If so, which one?

Save as a regular Excel workbook. It should by default have an extension of
..xls.

That's my problem. The file is .xls and I don't know how to work with this
type of file. And MS doesn't provide any information that is helpful to me
in solving my problem. As a matter of fact, there is very little info on
Charts and Graphs in Excel. It seems to be an area where very little can go
wrong.
I know how I want the Line Chart to be, but hinged if I know how to get the
s/w to do the job.
I suspect that MS Excel may not installed properly, which may be a
contributing factor. The reason I suspect that is because the Excel "Button"
is not present
before the "File", "Edit" and "View" buttons.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

[...]

You can just select the range you want and make the chart (ignoring other
cells). Or you could copy the cells you want into a new workbook.

[...]

If in fact Office is incorrectly installed, you should reinstall it first.

The Excel icon appears before the File menu if a workbook is open and
maximized, not if no files are open or if the open files are not maximized
to fill the Excel window.

Put X values in one column and Y values in the next column to the right. If
the X values are truly numerical values that you want to treat according to
these values, you want an XY chart, not a line chart. If the X values are
text labels, you want a Line chart. If the X values are dates, you may want
one or the other, so try both.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

MS Excel is now at level SP-3. Updating has corrected some problems that I
had to work around.
The Charts Wizard seems to be more predictable.
That is, I only get now one "Series" name insted of 200+ names.
I can now concentrate on putting the proper values in the input boxes with
the correct formulars.
I presume that Excel understands VBA?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Warp4Dennis" wrote:

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Now I am able to almost get the Chart in the form that I want. The dates are at
the bottom where they are suppose to be. The only problem now is the "Data"!
Excel still does not find the data from the .xls worksheet altho it is marked and
I entered the data as a Range in the "Value" window.
As near as I can remember the Range is: ='Historical Data'!$B$2:$B$254
The range on the left side of the Chart is still 0.0 to 1.0. In the past with CSV
the data was found and the Range was adjusted to cover the values in the cells and the lines were drawn. At the moment this is not done.
Is it possible that because the Data is in the range of 10.0 and 40.0 and the Range is given in the Chart as 0.0 to 1.0 that is the reason that no data is
ploted? Or is it due to something else that I have overlooked?
So far I have not found a way to change the Range until the very end.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

[...]

Is it possible the values are numbers stored as text? They will plot as
zeros until you convert them.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

It didn't help. The cells were marked "General". Changing to "number" for
Column B made no difference that I could detect. That is the Data from
Column
B is not ploted and the Range still remains the same, 0.0 to 1.0.
The values for Column A appear at the bottom of the Chart where they should
be.
I would presume that it makes no difference where the VBA information is
entered, that is in the "Chart Wizard" step 2 you have a choise. "Data
Range" and "Series".
Since Excel understands VBA, is it possible that I have inadvertantly left
out
something from the Series "Value:" data that I gave?
Value: ='Historical Data'!$B$2:$B$256
What good is a "Pivot" chart or table?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is it possible the values are numbers stored as text? They will plot as
zeros until you convert them.

It didn't help. The cells were marked "General". Changing to "number"
for
Column B made no difference that I could detect.

If the numbers are stored as text, the cell's number format will not
necessarily help. To convert cells, copy a blank cell, select the cells to
convert, go to Edit menu, Paste Special, choose the Addition Operation
option, and press OK.

That is the Data from Column
B is not ploted and the Range still remains the same, 0.0 to 1.0.
The values for Column A appear at the bottom of the Chart where they
should
be.

Are these text labels or numbers? What kind of chart?

I would presume that it makes no difference where the VBA information is
entered, that is in the "Chart Wizard" step 2 you have a choise. "Data
Range" and "Series".
Since Excel understands VBA, is it possible that I have inadvertantly left
out
something from the Series "Value:" data that I gave?
Value: ='Historical Data'!$B$2:$B$256
What good is a "Pivot" chart or table?

I don't know what you're asking.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

I am still having difficulty with Excel and the conversion to a Line Chart.
I am now using a spread sheet that has .csv suffix.
The data looks like this:
Date,Close,Volume
16/1/2007,"35.87",12654073
X 256
The line chart (graph) looks ok with the Date being entered at the bottom.
At the moment I'm not using Volume.
The problem is still has to do with the middle value not being recognized by
excel when I try to make a line chart. It does not plot these values.
What's the problem? Is the quotation marks the problem?
You say in previous e-mails it could be because the values are marked as
being
text. It would be kind of nice if you would tell me how Excel recognizes
data as
text.

Thomas