Chicesq

Default formula to calculate future date from date in cell plus days

I want to calculate dates in the future by adding number of days to a date
existing in another cell. In other words, I want a formula in Cell A1 that
will tell me the date which is the date in Cell B1 + 25 days. How do I write
that formula. I used to have the program doing that beautifully, but when I
upgraded to new excel, my chart doesn't work any more. I used it to
calculate deadlines for legal cases. This is a real pain.

Paul B

chicesq, how about in A1, =B1+25

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Chicesq" wrote in message
I want to calculate dates in the future by adding number of days to a date
existing in another cell. In other words, I want a formula in Cell A1

that
will tell me the date which is the date in Cell B1 + 25 days. How do I

write
that formula. I used to have the program doing that beautifully, but when

upgraded to new excel, my chart doesn't work any more. I used it to
calculate deadlines for legal cases. This is a real pain.

Chicesq

That's how I used to have it set up. Doesn't work in newest version of
Excel. Think twice before upgrading. Throws all previous formulas off, and
is more compliated to create new ones.

"Chicesq" wrote:

I want to calculate dates in the future by adding number of days to a date
existing in another cell. In other words, I want a formula in Cell A1 that
will tell me the date which is the date in Cell B1 + 25 days. How do I write
that formula. I used to have the program doing that beautifully, but when I
upgraded to new excel, my chart doesn't work any more. I used it to
calculate deadlines for legal cases. This is a real pain.

Chicesq

I tried that. It doesn't work in the new excel. Think twice before
upgrading. New excell changes all prior formulas which will no longer work.
Thank God, I'm not an accountant or something. It would be a real mess for
someone like that. What you have to do, as I finally figured out is set up a
separate column for Month, Day and Year. Then, you have to do a formula that
states =DATE(C3, C4+23, C5), where C3 is the month, C4 is the day, and C5 is
the year. I used to just put the date in one column, and then do my formulas
from that date. For instance, =DATEADD(C3+25), where C3 was the entire date
I wanted to calculate from. Can't do that any more. This new version is
much more cumbersome. Microsoft has overthought what used to be a very
simple, intuitive program, to make is complicated and unwieldy.

"Chicesq" wrote:

I want to calculate dates in the future by adding number of days to a date
existing in another cell. In other words, I want a formula in Cell A1 that
will tell me the date which is the date in Cell B1 + 25 days. How do I write
that formula. I used to have the program doing that beautifully, but when I
upgraded to new excel, my chart doesn't work any more. I used it to
calculate deadlines for legal cases. This is a real pain.

Biff

Hi!

It doesn't work in the new excel.

What does that mean? Are you getting an incorrect result? An error?

=DATE(C3, C4+23, C5), where C3 is the month, C4 is the day, and C5 is
the year

The arguments to the Date function are, in order: Date(Year,Month,Day)

=DATEADD(C3+25)

Excel doesn't have a function like that.

Are you SURE that the date cell was in fact a true Excel date and not just a
text string that LOOKED like a date?

Biff

"Chicesq" wrote:

I want to calculate dates in the future by adding number of days to a
date
existing in another cell. In other words, I want a formula in Cell A1
that
will tell me the date which is the date in Cell B1 + 25 days. How do I
write
that formula. I used to have the program doing that beautifully, but
when I
upgraded to new excel, my chart doesn't work any more. I used it to
calculate deadlines for legal cases. This is a real pain.

Roger Govier

Hi

No that is not correct. The newest version of Excel does do the date
calculation the same as previous versions.

If your Date in B1 is truly a recognised date value, then =B1+25 will return
a date which is 25 days on from the original. The cell with the formula
=B1+25 must also be formatted as one of the Date formats, otherwise it will
return the numeric value that Excel uses for storing dates, i.e. the number
of days since 31 Dec 1899.

e.g. with 03/11/2005 in B1 =B1+25 returns 38684 as a date serial number or
25/11/2005 when formatted as a date.

What value are you seeing?

Regards

Roger Govier

"Chicesq" wrote:

I want to calculate dates in the future by adding number of days to a date
existing in another cell. In other words, I want a formula in Cell A1 that
will tell me the date which is the date in Cell B1 + 25 days. How do I write
that formula. I used to have the program doing that beautifully, but when I
upgraded to new excel, my chart doesn't work any more. I used it to
calculate deadlines for legal cases. This is a real pain.

Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:29:02 -0800, "Chicesq"
wrote:

I want to calculate dates in the future by adding number of days to a date
existing in another cell. In other words, I want a formula in Cell A1 that
will tell me the date which is the date in Cell B1 + 25 days. How do I write
that formula. I used to have the program doing that beautifully, but when I
upgraded to new excel, my chart doesn't work any more. I used it to
calculate deadlines for legal cases. This is a real pain.

If

=B1+25 (with the result cell formatted as a date)

does not work, there is something the matter with your DATA, or with the method
in which you have set up your worksheet.

The usual mistakes have to do with getting confused as to whether the data is
really a DATE or merely a textual representation of a date.

Excel 2003 has not changed in this regard.
--ron