Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Brian

Default changing the color of a single bar on a graph

I am creating a bar graph that, for example, list a class full of students
and their grades on an assignment. I want to be able to graph all of the
results, have the graph all in the same color, and then enter in a cell the
student ID I am reviewing, then have the graph update to change the color of
that student's grade on the chart. As this is going to be a lookup tool, I
need this to be like a macro that changes the graph automatically versus
clicking on it and doing it manually. Anyone able to help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

You can do this with 2 data series and some worksheet formula.
Example data in cells A1:C7. Where current student is in A1.

4 Grade Hilite
Stu-1 10 =IF($A$1=1,B2,NA())
Stu-2 20 =IF($A$1=2,B3,NA())
Stu-3 30 =IF($A$1=3,B4,NA())
Stu-4 40 =IF($A$1=4,B5,NA())
Stu-5 50 =IF($A$1=5,B6,NA())
Stu-6 60 =IF($A$1=6,B7,NA())

Select range A1:C7 and create a column chart with 2 data series.
Double click a column and on the Options tab set the Overlap value to
100. This will place the selected students scores infront of the other
students. Simple change the student number in A1 to update the chart.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel