Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Finding loops in parent/child relationships

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me with a thorny problem.

I have a worksheet with 2 columns of data: 1 called Parent and the other
called Child. A number represents each 'person' and each row represents a
parent/child relationship e.g.

Parent Child
1 2
2 3
3 4
4 5
4 2
5 8
6 7
7 8
8 1

I am trying to find the rows that cause a loop in the parent/child hierarchy
i.e. a child eventually has one of its parents as its own child.

I've tried using VLOOKUP to build a lineage of grandparents, great
grandparents etc but that doesn't cope with the case where a child has more
than one parent.

Please could someone help? Have you solved this kind of problem before?

Thanks in advance,
Graham
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Easy to do in VBA. Build a lineage string one record at a time. Each time
an element is added, a check is made to insure the element has not already
been added:
1-2
1-2-3
1-2-3-4
1-2-3-4-5

The next step fails...Although 4 can have many children, it can't have #2
because #2 is already on the list. Let us know if a VBA solution is O.K.

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200758

"GrahamC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc