Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Denise1

Default old xls file conversion

I have very old xls files that I would like to convert to the new workbook
style with tabs. These files were created 15 years ago but I still update
them every week. I converted smaller files by copying them to a new
workbook, but I think there must be an easier way.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
David McRitchie

Hi Denise,
Since you are still creating them, sound like you still have the software.
The correct method is to create an Excel file from that application,
and then read the created Excel file in Excel and then save it.

If that does not work please post the name and version
of the original application, and the version of Excel you
want them in.

Then any spreadsheet or similar application can create a CSV
(comma separated Values) file, when can be read into any
spreadsheet or similar application. You will have to supply your
own formatting. You will probably have to change the file extension
from .csv to .txt so that you hav control over the columns of data
with the Text Import Wizard when reading into Excel. Be careful
with dates you would have to specify the order ie (Y-M-D, M-D-Y, D-M-Y)
what you think you see and may not be what they are or what you get.
Test with =TEXT(A1, "yyyy-mm-dd") if there is any doubt.
---
HTH,

"Denise1" wrote in message ...
I have very old xls files that I would like to convert to the new workbook
style with tabs. These files were created 15 years ago but I still update
them every week. I converted smaller files by copying them to a new
workbook, but I think there must be an easier way.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Denise1

David,

Thanks for the reply. I was able to do a read only then save, but it didn't
open in the new format. I think that it might be just as easy to just copy
the files to a new worksheet. Thanks.

"Denise1" wrote in message ...
I have very old xls files that I would like to convert to the new workbook
style with tabs. These files were created 15 years ago but I still update
them every week. I converted smaller files by copying them to a new
workbook, but I think there must be an easier way.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
David McRitchie

I never had MS Works, but I would expect it to be something like
File, Save As, (choose a format, something probably says Excel)
to save from MS Works.

---
HTH,