Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting full name into 2 columns by first name and last name

How do I take a full name in column a and have it sort into first name and
last name and have it place the first name in column a and last name into a
new column b?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the column with the first & last names and then click DATA in the menu
and select TEXT TO COLUMNS.

--
Kevin Backmann

"CT Man" wrote:

How do I take a full name in column a and have it sort into first name and
last name and have it place the first name in column a and last name into a
new column b?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select column A and then datatext to columns and use the space as the
delimiter. Then sort as required
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"CT Man" wrote:

How do I take a full name in column a and have it sort into first name and
last name and have it place the first name in column a and last name into a
new column b?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming the full name in column A is like:

James Ravenswood

1. first name first
2. no middle initial
3. single space between first name and last name

Select colum A and:

Data Text to Columns... Delimited Next check space Finish

You will be left with james in A1 and Ravenswood in B1, etc.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200764