Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I can't select, move or resize an image in Excel??

I have a spreadsheet which was created by a C# application.
There are images (pasted jpegs from code) on a number of worksheets in
the workbook.

When I open the spreadsheet in Excel I can't select, move, resize, etc
these images.
I also notice that all the menu items under Insert/Picture are disabled.

The cells don't appear to be locked and there are no permissions
(unrestricted access) to this Shared workbook.

All the text, numbers and formulas are selectable and editable.

anybody have any idea what's going on?
thanks
mike

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: I can't select, move or resize an image in Excel??

Hi Mike,

It sounds like the images may have been inserted as "background images" in Excel, which means they are not selectable or editable like regular images.

To check if this is the case, right-click on the image and see if the "Format Picture" option is available. If it is not, then it is likely a background image.

To make the image selectable and editable, you can try the following steps:
  1. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on the "Background" button in the "Page Setup" group.
  3. If there is a background image selected, click on "Delete Background" to remove it.
  4. Insert the image again using the "Insert Picture" option under the "Insert" tab in the ribbon.
  5. The image should now be selectable and editable.

If this doesn't work, it's possible that the images were inserted using a different method that is not compatible with Excel. In that case, you may need to recreate the images using a different program and insert them into Excel again.
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Junior Member

I just had the same prob, which led me to your post... then we figured it out (at least in our case.) When the images were pasted into Excel, multiple sheets were selected. This pasted the image onto multiple sheets and prevented us from moving or editing the image in any way. I also noticed this issue the other day when I had multiple sheets selected and found that I was unable to move one of the page break preview lines. Once I deselected the other sheets, everything worked fine. As for the image, once we selected only one sheet we were able to move and edit the image. I hope this helps.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apat_rollercoaster View Post
Once I deselected the other sheets, everything worked fine. As for the image, once we selected only one sheet we were able to move and edit the image. I hope this helps.
I just had the same problem as well in Microsoft Excel Starter 2010. Just deselect the other sheets and everything is back to normal.

I had selected multiple sheets for printing all of them at one time and never thought to deselect them