Anna

Default how do you add vlookup results?

I have a tab with various data entries. Lret call it Enter tab. In the second
tab (Calculation), I entered Vlookup formula that looks up information in
Enter. Since some of the conditions repeat, I was hoping to use SUM(VLOOKUP)
to add all those that apply in one cell. But it does not work.
Example

Enter tab:
movie $6
dinner $15
movie $10

Calculation tab:
looks up everything for a movie spend. I used SUM(VLOOKUP), but it does not
return $16, just $6.
Anybody can help?
Thank you
Anna

JulieD

Hi Anna

use SUMIF for this instead
=SUMIF(A1:A10,"movie",B1:B10)
or with movie in cell C1
=SUMIF(A1:A10,C1,B1:B10)

Cheers
JulieD

"Anna" wrote in message
I have a tab with various data entries. Lret call it Enter tab. In the
second
tab (Calculation), I entered Vlookup formula that looks up information in
Enter. Since some of the conditions repeat, I was hoping to use
SUM(VLOOKUP)
to add all those that apply in one cell. But it does not work.
Example

Enter tab:
movie $6
dinner $15
movie $10

Calculation tab:
looks up everything for a movie spend. I used SUM(VLOOKUP), but it does
not
return $16, just $6.
Anybody can help?
Thank you
Anna

Anna

So, there is no way to add VLOOKUP? :(
This is really a great idea, except that the "Enter" tab spreadsheet is a
bit complicated then that. It has 5 columns with info (I gave only 2 for
simplicity of explanation). Then I have 4 different tabs pulling data with
Vlookup formulas from the same Enter tab.
I tried it and it does work. It won't be as automated as I hoped it to be,
but it does work.
Thank you a bunch!!

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi Anna

use SUMIF for this instead
=SUMIF(A1:A10,"movie",B1:B10)
or with movie in cell C1
=SUMIF(A1:A10,C1,B1:B10)

Cheers
JulieD

"Anna" wrote in message
I have a tab with various data entries. Lret call it Enter tab. In the
second
tab (Calculation), I entered Vlookup formula that looks up information in
Enter. Since some of the conditions repeat, I was hoping to use
SUM(VLOOKUP)
to add all those that apply in one cell. But it does not work.
Example

Enter tab:
movie $6
dinner $15
movie $10

Calculation tab:
looks up everything for a movie spend. I used SUM(VLOOKUP), but it does
not
return $16, just $6.
Anybody can help?
Thank you
Anna

JulieD

Hi Anna

VLOOKUP's purpose in life is to return related information for the first
match of the Lookup_value ... if you want anything else you need to use
either an INDEX/MATCH combination or, in your case, the SUMIF or SUMPRODUCT
functions depending on what it is that you really want.

If you'ld like a "more automated" solution please post your exact
requirements

Cheers
JulieD

"Anna" wrote in message
So, there is no way to add VLOOKUP? :(
This is really a great idea, except that the "Enter" tab spreadsheet is a
bit complicated then that. It has 5 columns with info (I gave only 2 for
simplicity of explanation). Then I have 4 different tabs pulling data with
Vlookup formulas from the same Enter tab.
I tried it and it does work. It won't be as automated as I hoped it to be,
but it does work.
Thank you a bunch!!

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi Anna